What leaderboard options do you want?

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

12squared

Re: What leaderboard options do you want?

Post by 12squared »

phxmrc wrote:I kinda like the day leader board although I don't need to see the 5/10 days. I do like YTD + 30/90/180/360 days along with past years or something along those lines. I agree with others it would be nice to filter out the "False leaders". Maybe have the accounts (and new accounts) active for xxx amount of months in a row without a reset to qualify for leader board?
I find the Date Range rankings helpful in selecting members to follow, because they show whose strategy is currently "hot".

YTD rankings can be skewed by lucky - or unlucky - moves early in the year, whereas 360 days (i.e. a rolling year or PIP) indicates consistency. However, anything less than a month can also be misleading. 30-90-360 (3x & 4x intervals) is a good subset of the current time intervals. 25-50-100-200 (geometrically constant 2x intervals) is another good progression.

Showing only the top 5 over each time range on a single page isn't always useful. It would be better to see the rankings in separate columns for each time period, along with the current allocation, its date, and previous allocation. It would be even better to be able to sort on each column, and/or toggle between rank and gain/loss - or have corresponding pages for Rank and Gain/Loss. To be really flexible, the time intervals shown be user-adjustable from the defaults.

For example (by Rank or by %change)
Member YTD 25day 50day 100day 200day 1year Current_Allocation Allocation_Date Previous_Allocation
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

Bernpaud

Post by Bernpaud »

Pending allocations on the leaderboard main screen.
Seasonals? Charts? Momentum?, The Hot Hand? 1% mo. and flee to G?...choices, choices

12squared

Post by 12squared »

Another thing to consider is ties. When members have the same gain (e.g.they been in the same fund over the entire time period) their ranks shoud be the same, i.e. 1 more than the number of members who have a higher gain. Right now the ranking for "ties" is arbitrary. PGA leaderboards are a good example.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

- Andrew Carnegie

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

12squared wrote: Showing only the top 5 over each time range on a single page isn't always useful. It would be better to see the rankings in separate columns for each time period, along with the current allocation, its date, and previous allocation. It would be even better to be able to sort on each column, and/or toggle between rank and gain/loss - or have corresponding pages for Rank and Gain/Loss. To be really flexible, the time intervals shown be user-adjustable from the defaults.

Member YTD 25day 50day 100day 200day 1year Current_Allocation Allocation_Date Previous_Allocation
So what I'm working on won't be limited to the top 5. The leaderboard will be all-inclusive. It will be a vertically scrolling table with every user in it. Based on whatever preset you click will determine the sorting, and the returns shown, of the table.

This will work really fast because the data is downloaded once per day and cached in the user's browser. Changing the time frame, if you use a preset, will refresh the table instantly without contacting the server.

If you want to be able to input specific dates, then it won't be instant. It will be a slight delay as it contacts the server, similar to how the Seasonal Builder at TSPcalc usually works (the table loads in the background without refreshing the whole page).

Note the seasonal builder is currently offline, so if you've never seen this before you'll just have to wait until i fix the seasonal builder.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

ProduceMan

Post by ProduceMan »

When you say vertically scrolling table, I’m guessing there won’t be any pages to click?
Moneys’ Money Making Money (4M)

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

ProduceMan wrote:When you say vertically scrolling table, I’m guessing there won’t be any pages to click?
Fantasy TSP, My FantasyTSP, My Watchlist, Leader Board

Are all going to be on one page now. Set up similar to the TSP calc Seasonal Calculator,

Upper left block FantasyTSP summary. Upper right block Leaderboard, with options.
Below those two blocks, graphs.
Below graphs, Balance History and Allocation History for the selected FantasyTSP user.

All on one page!

12squared

Post by 12squared »

mjedlin66 wrote:
12squared wrote: Showing only the top 5 over each time range on a single page isn't always useful. It would be better to see the rankings in separate columns for each time period, along with the current allocation, its date, and previous allocation. It would be even better to be able to sort on each column, and/or toggle between rank and gain/loss - or have corresponding pages for Rank and Gain/Loss. To be really flexible, the time intervals shown be user-adjustable from the defaults.

So what I'm working on won't be limited to the top 5. The leaderboard will be all-inclusive. It will be a vertically scrolling table with every user in it. Based on whatever preset you click will determine the sorting, and the returns shown, of the table.

This will work really fast because the data is downloaded once per day and cached in the user's browser. Changing the time frame, if you use a preset, will refresh the table instantly without contacting the server.

If you want to be able to input specific dates, then it won't be instant. It will be a slight delay as it contacts the server, similar to how the Seasonal Builder at TSPcalc usually works (the table loads in the background without refreshing the whole page).

Note the seasonal builder is currently offline, so if you've never seen this before you'll just have to wait until i fix the seasonal builder.
Sounds great - except for the implication of a single ranking time period. Will we still be able to see this on an individual member's summary page?

Would you consider a pick list of "standard" ranges (StockCharts.com is good example), making it easy to switch between time frames? A choice by a quantity of days, weeks, months or years would be easier than having to pick begin & end dates on a calendar.
- Dean Witter

- Andrew Carnegie

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

12squared wrote: Sounds great - except for the implication of a single ranking time period. Will we still be able to see this on an individual member's summary page?

Would you consider a pick list of "standard" ranges (StockCharts.com is good example), making it easy to switch between time frames? A choice by a quantity of days, weeks, months or years would be easier than having to pick begin & end dates on a calendar.
You've misunderstood. The whole point of this thread is to establish what those standard ranges are.

12squared

Post by 12squared »

mjedlin66 wrote:
12squared wrote: Sounds great - except for the implication of a single ranking time period. Will we still be able to see this on an individual member's summary page?

You've misunderstood. The whole point of this thread is to establish what those standard ranges are.
30 & 90 days. 1, 2 & 3 years.
- Dean Witter

- Andrew Carnegie

12squared

Post by 12squared »

Displaying the rankings beside the returns on each member's FantasyTSP page would be more insightful than the "Top 5" page.
- Dean Witter

- Andrew Carnegie

Bernpaud

Post by Bernpaud »

It would be great to see pending allocations next to current allocations on the leaderboard. Thanks.
Seasonals? Charts? Momentum?, The Hot Hand? 1% mo. and flee to G?...choices, choices

paul

Post by paul »

How can I see my current position on the leader board?

IRQVET

Post by IRQVET »

Quaterly would be awesome.

I also wish the daily fund prices popped up when we open our fantasy account instead of having to hop back to the index page.

Thanks.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
Disclaimer: The contents of this thread are known to the state of California to cause cancer. (As they always seem to know more than the rest of us)

JfHorse

Post by JfHorse »

With the old version I was able to get a text alert to my I-phone of the top leaders I'm following. Is that going to be available or am I missing how to make the connection, thanks

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

JfHorse wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:54 pm With the old version I was able to get a text alert to my I-phone of the top leaders I'm following. Is that going to be available or am I missing how to make the connection, thanks
Email only right now. SMS in a couple months. The blue email icon in the watch list is how you add email alerts

Fund Prices2024-03-27

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.14 0.01% 1.00%
F $19.09 0.26% -0.68%
C $82.11 0.87% 10.42%
S $82.19 1.48% 6.61%
I $42.68 0.56% 6.21%
L2065 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2060 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2055 $16.39 0.84% 8.36%
L2050 $32.73 0.71% 6.94%
L2045 $14.91 0.67% 6.56%
L2040 $54.37 0.63% 6.20%
L2035 $14.34 0.58% 5.77%
L2030 $47.66 0.53% 5.35%
L2025 $13.14 0.31% 3.40%
Linc $25.60 0.24% 2.79%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".