New website is not popular

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Alexosbour

Re: New website is not popular

Post by Alexosbour »

I haven’t narrowed down exactly what features/differences has caused it, but i have to say that I agree so far with tspwizard. The old site was perfect for my use in helping managing my tsp funds. Using it i was much better at predicting where i needed to be and made much more consistent profits. The watchlist is the huge focus for me. The new website completely inconvenienced the way i used tspcenter with the small window for watchlists. I used those a lotttttt to keep me alerted to mass movements I may have missed in the market to alert me that i needed to take a look. The SMS was a big part, but having a whole screen dedicated to that list and its management was invaluable to me. I honestly forget tspcenter exists nowadays for weeks at a time. :(

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Alexosbour wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 pm I haven’t narrowed down exactly what features/differences has caused it, but i have to say that I agree so far with tspwizard. The old site was perfect for my use in helping managing my tsp funds. Using it i was much better at predicting where i needed to be and made much more consistent profits. The watchlist is the huge focus for me. The new website completely inconvenienced the way i used tspcenter with the small window for watchlists. I used those a lotttttt to keep me alerted to mass movements I may have missed in the market to alert me that i needed to take a look. The SMS was a big part, but having a whole screen dedicated to that list and its management was invaluable to me. I honestly forget tspcenter exists nowadays for weeks at a time. :(

So some points-
1) Desktop website design is now the least important use case for any website, this one included. The vast majority of my traffic comes from cell phones. The old watchlist certainly wasn't optimized for cell phones.
2) You did identify specific features, so I appreciate that. This is constructive feedback.
3) SMS was broken before I bought the website. It will be brought back, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
4) I am comparing the old watch list page to the one we have now. All of the information present in the old page is present in the new watch list, at least on desktop. You do have to switch the dropdown between "2021" and "Pending IFT" in order to flip the columns from YTD over to show Pending Allocations.
5) The new watchlist allows you to view returns other than YTD. I don't see a way to do that on the old watchlist.

I am just trying to narrow down specifically what I should be working on.

Here's a link to the old watchlist for reference sake. Note that you can't use this site to make any changes to your tspcenter account.
https://old.tspcenter.com/listWatch.php
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

daemon wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 am When you go to your Fantasy page it lists a summary of IFT's at the bottom of the All tab, but not on your Watchlist tab. Can you add a summary of IFT's at the bottom of the Watchlist please?

Also I liked the old feature on the graphs that showed when and to what funds a person made their IFT's along with the other fund plots. I particularly watch people who have demonstrated some skill (ex, S or C fund took a dive and they went to G before that). I'm not interested in following people who hold S fund through 10-20% drops. That's too nerve racking for me.
Both are on my list.

Thanks
Matt

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Today I got to work on the IFT points for the FantasyTSP graphs.

The amount of information on this graph is getting really crowded. If I recall, the old website's graphs didn't include the daily changes on hover, and so the only "hover" information was the IFTs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twinkc

Post by twinkc »

Looking great Matt! Thanks for getting to this one. Twinkc

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Matt,

So, for one thing, whenever you make changes, there'll always be someone that complains because they don't like change. That would also manifest itself in users. I'm sorry, because this website is invaluable.

So here are some suggestions on what worked for me (and might have already been addressed, but I'm too lazy to read through the list of questions and answers):

1. There were many times in the past I would come here just to see the graphs at the bottom of the page for the different "mirror" funds for the C, S, F and I funds. These funds were "real time" indicators of what was going on the market. I changed my habits and now just type them in Google search, but I bet there were others just like me.
2. I like the new format where we don't have "reputation" points. I think that this idea became somewhat nuclear in the past. That caused problems and so not having that is a plus for this site. I know for me, there were times I was so turned off that I just left the site for weeks (or even months) on end as I got tired of the snarky comments after I gave my opinion on where the market was heading.
3. I would suggest to reconsider your selection of the blue color. Yes, blue color is typically a "restful" color and is associated with calm and understanding. Yet, red and other colors also give different impressions. While we're not trying to encourage excessive risk taking or bothering people, it might be worth considering what type of person comes here. The former website was red "heavy." See here for more info: https://bit.ly/3vcbRxo.
4. I think it might be helpful to have the right hand side show the current "top" investors YTD. People like a competition and others like seeing people worth following. I think that element alone would be very helpful. Mixed in with that, having a tab that shows YTD, 1 year, 3 years and 5 years would be really cool. I think it would add an extra dimension that the YTD would not show.
5. One final suggestion. At the very bottom, having either a ticker space (comparable to TV that has it sliding from right to left) or a link to the top news stories from Marketwatch or Seeking Alpha or another preferred website might give additional information to anyone coming to this forum. Of course, this last suggestion would only be helpful if you were hoping that this website would include people also investing in the general market or if you would prefer to only stick with the TSP.

Just some ideas.

Best,

Bubster

P.S. An old "axiom" of website design is that the more a page changes, the more clicks one gets. If you include the personalization suggestions and the information changing on the bottom of the page, that will surely increase your readership.
P.P.S. I see you already implemented live charts. They're probably just not showing because I'm looking at the site before the market opens. Maybe it would be neat to link to investing.com's futures pages?

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 am Matt,

So, for one thing, whenever you make changes, there'll always be someone that complains because they don't like change. That would also manifest itself in users. I'm sorry, because this website is invaluable.

So here are some suggestions on what worked for me (and might have already been addressed, but I'm too lazy to read through the list of questions and answers):

1. There were many times in the past I would come here just to see the graphs at the bottom of the page for the different "mirror" funds for the C, S, F and I funds. These funds were "real time" indicators of what was going on the market. I changed my habits and now just type them in Google search, but I bet there were others just like me.
2. I like the new format where we don't have "reputation" points. I think that this idea became somewhat nuclear in the past. That caused problems and so not having that is a plus for this site. I know for me, there were times I was so turned off that I just left the site for weeks (or even months) on end as I got tired of the snarky comments after I gave my opinion on where the market was heading.
3. I would suggest to reconsider your selection of the blue color. Yes, blue color is typically a "restful" color and is associated with calm and understanding. Yet, red and other colors also give different impressions. While we're not trying to encourage excessive risk taking or bothering people, it might be worth considering what type of person comes here. The former website was red "heavy." See here for more info: https://bit.ly/3vcbRxo.
4. I think it might be helpful to have the right hand side show the current "top" investors YTD. People like a competition and others like seeing people worth following. I think that element alone would be very helpful. Mixed in with that, having a tab that shows YTD, 1 year, 3 years and 5 years would be really cool. I think it would add an extra dimension that the YTD would not show.
5. One final suggestion. At the very bottom, having either a ticker space (comparable to TV that has it sliding from right to left) or a link to the top news stories from Marketwatch or Seeking Alpha or another preferred website might give additional information to anyone coming to this forum. Of course, this last suggestion would only be helpful if you were hoping that this website would include people also investing in the general market or if you would prefer to only stick with the TSP.

Just some ideas.

Best,

Bubster

P.S. An old "axiom" of website design is that the more a page changes, the more clicks one gets. If you include the personalization suggestions and the information changing on the bottom of the page, that will surely increase your readership.
P.P.S. I see you already implemented live charts. They're probably just not showing because I'm looking at the site before the market opens. Maybe it would be neat to link to investing.com's futures pages?
This is excellent feedback. I have work to do.

dbjr2000

New website is not popular

Post by dbjr2000 »

Is there somewhere where you can tell the last time someone signed on when you are watching them ? It was very helpful in knowing if they were active or just buy and sit.
Thanks

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Their user profile has that information
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fund Prices2021-06-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $16.61 0.00% 0.60%
F $20.88 0.32% -1.49%
C $62.45 -1.31% 11.69%
S $82.88 -1.28% 11.70%
I $38.60 -1.78% 9.07%
L2065 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2060 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2055 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2050 $28.08 -1.17% 8.79%
L2045 $12.83 -1.10% 8.27%
L2040 $46.86 -1.03% 7.76%
L2035 $12.40 -0.94% 7.17%
L2030 $41.33 -0.86% 6.58%
L2025 $11.75 -0.66% 5.27%
Linc $22.90 -0.31% 2.77%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".