New website is not popular

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

mjedlin66
Site Admin

New website is not popular

Post by mjedlin66 »

Check out these stats. Down about 30% since January.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

tnwhiskey

Re: New website is not popular

Post by tnwhiskey »

I suspect that it's easier for people to just hang out and get spoon fed info in the seasonal strat FB group than to come here for research and more technical info. I enjoy the invaluable data the fantasy section tspcenter provides such as the graphs and balance sheet. I also look forward to reading what you, Aitrus, and Tomanyiron post, and there are few others who provide insightful info as well. Perhaps "forums" are becoming extinct due to quick hitter information that social media provides for the short attention span folk out there. I love forums & dislike social media due to the clutter but social media is what today's generation has always had.

I know very little about website development and administration but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to roll "tspcalc" into "tspcenter" and make a private section for the tspcalc people to get their strats instead? If anything, it will provide more exposure as to what the center provides but FB will more than likely serve as their source of info.

Or....

Dare I say, roll the more popular elements of "tspcenter" such as the fantasy, live and technical into "tspcalc" (for pay members) and make a brand new forum for pay members only. If tspcenter is "dead", would it be more financially advantageous to make it an archival "read only" site so people can search for prior information?

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

MJ
Have you compared this YTD monthly data with last years? It's possible that the observed decline is, no pun intended, "seasonal" in nature. The assumption that traffic is typically higher in Jan than April since Jan is when investors do their yearly financial planning checkups, and tapers off as the summer vacation months approach.

I'd hate to think that this decline is because visitors are less interested since the "no political opinions" rule was imposed. That would be tragic, since it proves that members enjoy using this site primarily to vent their mostly irrelevant and largely poorly-composed life beliefs and opinions.

Either way, the value of this site to serious TSP's is critical.
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

LarryBoy

Post by LarryBoy »

I have been coming to this site for years but would not call me a Market savvy person. The major thing I do not like about the new site is the charts. The old ones where easy to read and made sense. I do not understand the new one with all the extra bar and lines on it. I waste a lot of time playing with them trying to figure them out. I also like the bears vs bulls chart. I will admit when you changed it did take some effort to find the things I like looking at.

Thanks for providing the site.

Update: I just enabled the Fantasy part of the site and found the charts! Not sure why you hide them in Fantasy but glad I found them.
Last edited by LarryBoy on Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

tsodak

Post by tsodak »

I would also make a comment that 2020 was very stressful to folks with TSP accounts watching them crash and then rise like the Phoenix. I am a fairly new member here and watching what happened to my TSP in 2020 led me to taking a more active interest in the management of my TSP. I assume I was not alone in that, and I assume not everyone is going to stick with this level of interest in the long term. I hope too, but only time tells that tells. My point is that there may be a market/economic volatility component here. I love the site and use it literally every week day. Good Luck!!!

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

bloobs wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:47 am I'd hate to think that this decline is because visitors are less interested since the "no political opinions" rule was imposed. That would be tragic, since it proves that members enjoy using this site primarily to vent their mostly irrelevant and largely poorly-composed life beliefs and opinions.
Well that's one reason why.

ubascuba

Post by ubascuba »

I think integration with TSPCalc would be a great feature. Also, it would be nice to add a plan number into the fantasy game and have a way to change plan numbers mid year. I often start fantasy TSP using a plan in TSPCalc, but I lose interest if a miss a fantasy move since my real returns start to diverge from my fantasy account.
Ubascuba
Strategy:121017
Current PIP: 31.88%

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” ~ Winston Churchill

RugbyLarry
The Bearded Legend

Post by RugbyLarry »

A lot of the more serious folks on the FB group have been clamoring for a "subscribers only" group. Perhaps the forum is the way to do that?

That said, I think forums are dead, at least for the time being. Who knows? Reddit made bulletin boards a thing again.

I still think the value in this web site is Fantasy TSP. How to harness that is the question.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

ubascuba wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:44 am I think integration with TSPCalc would be a great feature. Also, it would be nice to add a plan number into the fantasy game and have a way to change plan numbers mid year. I often start fantasy TSP using a plan in TSPCalc, but I lose interest if a miss a fantasy move since my real returns start to diverge from my fantasy account.
Uba, if you missed an IFT it's very easy to generate an updated TSPCALC strategy number based on the last one you used. Remember, TSPCALC strategies are "crowdsourced" meaning you can roll your own special strategy; and most of custom strategies are based on the more popular ones anyways. The crowdsourcing is the genius of TSPCALC.

jimcasada

Post by jimcasada »

First, thanks for keeping this site going! Generally, I like most of the changes here, but I really do miss the little triangle marker flags on the individual member charts indicating whenever a fantasy IFT was made, and the pending IFT allocations list. Also, could it be made easier to make out what I'm looking at on my S20 Andriod phone (which I use a lot more to go to this site than my desktop)? Thanks, Jim.

Regularguy

Post by Regularguy »

I still value the content. Maybe the quality of visitors is better than a high quantity of Visitors? I did like the calculator that was available before where a person can plug in information to guesstimate your future TSP balance. I also miss the open forum on the main page where you can see all the current questions of the day and commentary.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

jimcasada wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:52 am First, thanks for keeping this site going! Generally, I like most of the changes here, but I really do miss the little triangle marker flags on the individual member charts indicating whenever a fantasy IFT was made, and the pending IFT allocations list. Also, could it be made easier to make out what I'm looking at on my S20 Andriod phone (which I use a lot more to go to this site than my desktop)? Thanks, Jim.
I use it almost exclusively on my android. I have implemented many phone friendly changes already. I personally think this site works great on mobile. But if you have specific suggestions I will evaluate/implement them.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

bloobs wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:47 am MJ
Have you compared this YTD monthly data with last years? It's possible that the observed decline is, no pun intended, "seasonal" in nature. The assumption that traffic is typically higher in Jan than April since Jan is when investors do their yearly financial planning checkups, and tapers off as the summer vacation months approach.
I don't have spring data from last year because I didn't own it in spring of last year.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

RugbyLarry wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:49 am A lot of the more serious folks on the FB group have been clamoring for a "subscribers only" group. Perhaps the forum is the way to do that?

That said, I think forums are dead, at least for the time being. Who knows? Reddit made bulletin boards a thing again.

I still think the value in this web site is Fantasy TSP. How to harness that is the question.
I agree that Facebook has killed off web forums. There is not much I can do about that.

I think we saw a decline in traffic because a lot of our existing traffic was from people who were resisting the modern trends. When I changed the layout of the site, many people just didn't want to learn it and left.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Integration with tspcalc is planned.

I also think that a lot of people were using this site just to get historical prices, which is now quite easy to do through the TSP website or the Daily TSP app.

Fund Prices2021-06-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $16.61 0.00% 0.60%
F $20.88 0.32% -1.49%
C $62.45 -1.31% 11.69%
S $82.88 -1.28% 11.70%
I $38.60 -1.78% 9.07%
L2065 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2060 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2055 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2050 $28.08 -1.17% 8.79%
L2045 $12.83 -1.10% 8.27%
L2040 $46.86 -1.03% 7.76%
L2035 $12.40 -0.94% 7.17%
L2030 $41.33 -0.86% 6.58%
L2025 $11.75 -0.66% 5.27%
Linc $22.90 -0.31% 2.77%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".