New website is not popular

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

bloobs

Re: New website is not popular

Post by bloobs »

12squared wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:13 pm It could be due in part to a change in color scheme. My human factors brethren once told me about a company selling root beer that switched from brown/tan cans to blue - and lost a lot of sales. The "cool" palette, dominated by pastel blue-grays may be subconsciously uninviting.
The drop in root beer sales is probably because, instead of delicious caramelly root beer, the blue cans conjure up visions of toilet bowl water.

So MJ, along the same vein, how about we change the background color to green (the color of money) or add a background image of a smiling retired fartknocker lounging on the beach with a margarita with his corvette in the background? :)

IRQVET

Post by IRQVET »

People don't like change of any kind. "Who Moved My Cheese." (Great Book)

Personally I'm very greatful for this website in any form it presents itself. There is an incredible amount of value here that you cannot find anywhere else IMHO.

Hang in there, I'm sure things will bounce back. I'm sure the dip in popularity is just temporary.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
Disclaimer: The contents of this thread are known to the state of California to cause cancer.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

IRQVET wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:26 am People don't like change of any kind. "Who Moved My Cheese." (Great Book)

Personally I'm very greatful for this website in any form it presents itself. There is an incredible amount of value here that you cannot find anywhere else IMHO.

Hang in there, I'm sure things will bounce back. I'm sure the dip in popularity is just temporary.
Agree. But I think there is not even actual dip in popularity or usage of this site for its stated purpose. I think both the new design and the "no political b.s." mandates resulted in:

(1) drop-offs of the non-serious visitors interested only in political trolling/venting and,
(2) for those that stayed, the new design's efficiency lets them get to the information/page they need in fewer mouse clicks--as evidenced by the drop-off of "web hits" while maintaining a consistent "unique visitors" counts. I can attest to this personally, as I can get to whichever page I need to in a click or two at most now.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

IRQVET wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:26 am Hang in there, I'm sure things will bounce back. I'm sure the dip in popularity is just temporary.
Yea, I agree. When Trump gets back in office, I'm sure everything will get better. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just a joke, please don't take me off the site. I know both sides are laughing.

mhende2

Post by mhende2 »

When the markets drop enough to panic many of those who've not been doing their homework, and just going with the flow, you will start seeing some of that group start searching for guidance and advice. I'm speaking from experience. That's why I'm still here.
In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable.
-Robert Arnott

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

bloobs wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:49 am
12squared wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:13 pm It could be due in part to a change in color scheme. My human factors brethren once told me about a company selling root beer that switched from brown/tan cans to blue - and lost a lot of sales. The "cool" palette, dominated by pastel blue-grays may be subconsciously uninviting.
The drop in root beer sales is probably because, instead of delicious caramelly root beer, the blue cans conjure up visions of toilet bowl water.

So MJ, along the same vein, how about we change the background color to green (the color of money) or add a background image of a smiling retired fartknocker lounging on the beach with a margarita with his corvette in the background? :)
Seconded. Or maybe a smartass know-nothing on his motorcycle and holding a beer? I think I have a pic like that someplace...
Seasonal Musings 2021: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18757
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

mhende2 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:49 am When the markets drop enough to panic many of those who've not been doing their homework, and just going with the flow, you will start seeing some of that group start searching for guidance and advice. I'm speaking from experience. That's why I'm still here.
You’ve got a good point here. I’ve noticed that things often pick up when the market is either flying high or when it’s abnormally dismal. When things are just normal ups and downs there isn’t as much traffic.

Amerks

Post by Amerks »

So being honest here...I wish you would take the Fantasy part and move it into TSPCALC and have 3 different subscriptions...those that want just TSPCalc...those that just want Fantasy...and those that want everything. Then price it out accordingly. I have no problems paying you more than I am right now and this should be a reasonably profitably business model for you. I appreciate all that you do Matt!

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

Amerks wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:28 pm So being honest here...I wish you would take the Fantasy part and move it into TSPCALC and have 3 different subscriptions...those that want just TSPCalc...those that just want Fantasy...and those that want everything. Then price it out accordingly. I have no problems paying you more than I am right now and this should be a reasonably profitably business model for you. I appreciate all that you do Matt!
Our polling a few months ago showed that a lot of people would leave if we made everything available by subscription. That's why we decided to keep the Fantasy game and forum free, and to work on adding a paid-members-only section with advanced features, with a discount if one is also a member at TSPCalc. Work in progress, and we definitely want to make the site self-sustaining.

However, we also don't want to forsake the vast majority of the current membership: those who have been here year after year using the free features. That would betray the true mission of the site: to provide an educational place for TSP investing.

12squared

Post by 12squared »

Maybe its because you need to login to see anything useful. Sort of like having the door from a the speakeasy with the window hatch and password vs. the display case in the shop along main street. I go to TSPtalk just because they show the daily fund prices every evening - right at the top of the page - and price time history during the day. Then I might get drawn into clicking something within the page.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend — not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Jack Schannep

"Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em"
- Kenny Rogers

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

12squared wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:10 am Maybe its because you need to login to see anything useful. Sort of like having the door from a the speakeasy with the window hatch and password vs. the display case in the shop along main street. I go to TSPtalk just because they show the daily fund prices every evening - right at the top of the page - and price time history during the day. Then I might get drawn into clicking something within the page.
You don't have to be logged in here to see the fund prices OR the live charts. The fund prices are on every page.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

twinkc

Post by twinkc »

Aitrus wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:17 pm
bloobs wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:49 am

Seconded. Or maybe a smartass know-nothing on his motorcycle and holding a beer? I think I have a pic like that someplace...
Let's not forget about women! She could be a retired silver-haired fox holding a glass of bubbly champagne in one hand and a bunch of [$1000] dollar bills in the other, lounging on her yacht! :D

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

mjedlin66 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:29 pm ... The fund prices are on every page.
Not on the Fantasy page. :(
Prediction is hard. Either you know that, or you’re in denial about it. The reason it’s hard is because the visible stuff that happens in the world is a small fraction of the hidden stuff that goes on inside people’s heads.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

I respectfully think you guys are in straight up denial about the new website. The old website was just simply better. It was visually more appealing and more useful as an investing tool by letting people highlight date ranges with the historical performance of all the different funds. If you swim against the current long enough eventually you will drown. Listen to what the user data is telling you is my advice.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Tomanyiron wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:23 am
mjedlin66 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:29 pm ... The fund prices are on every page.
Not on the Fantasy page. :(
I guess I'll add that to my list. Thanks.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

Fund Prices2021-06-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $16.61 0.00% 0.60%
F $20.88 0.32% -1.49%
C $62.45 -1.31% 11.69%
S $82.88 -1.28% 11.70%
I $38.60 -1.78% 9.07%
L2065 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2060 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2055 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2050 $28.08 -1.17% 8.79%
L2045 $12.83 -1.10% 8.27%
L2040 $46.86 -1.03% 7.76%
L2035 $12.40 -0.94% 7.17%
L2030 $41.33 -0.86% 6.58%
L2025 $11.75 -0.66% 5.27%
Linc $22.90 -0.31% 2.77%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".