New website is not popular

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Re: New website is not popular

Post by mjedlin66 »

tspwizard1 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:04 pm I respectfully think you guys are in straight up denial about the new website. The old website was just simply better. It was visually more appealing and more useful as an investing tool by letting people highlight date ranges with the historical performance of all the different funds. If you swim against the current long enough eventually you will drown. Listen to what the user data is telling you is my advice.
I'm not in denial. The new website is far better. It is far more flexible, is setup to display well on mobile phones, and allows for easier modifications. It also doesn't run on a 1995 code base that's no longer updated for security or speed.

There are probably key components of the old site which should be incorporated here. I've been doing that. I have been updating the new website with specific things that people request. I even put up a copy of the old website so we could reference it and people could say "I really liked X from this page here". And maybe my color scheme still needs an overhaul.

People who have asked for specific things have gotten them, for the most part. I have made a lot of changes and I still have a long list of changes to be made. People who have asked "Just change it back to the old website" have been ignored, and for good reason. When you run a business and your business environment is rapidly changing, you don't do it the way it was done 30 years ago.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

stilljammi

Post by stilljammi »

I like the new website, yeah the old site looked like it was straight out of 2005. I like the live data section, I think it's the most helpful source on the internet to see how the TSP funds are performing right now, I use it every day. One thing I think would be helpful would be a more visual way of displaying your IFT history. I think color-coding a calendar month would be easier to read instead of just one big list of text of your IFTs. I think you can scrap the balance sheet, I don't think that's useful IMO. This might be overkill and make a mess of data, but I'd like to see how individual funds performed at a glance on a particular day. I'm not sure how you could fit it on mobile, but if there was enough space, just have a calendar with the funds' prices in each day.

Something fun to add to the homepage might be how the funds performed last year, 5 years ago, a decade ago. Shows us how far we've come and what the funds were doing at the time. Just a thought.

Tempasante

Post by Tempasante »

Change is always difficult, and I know updating all this from old code to new is not an easy task. I am happy to still have this site and access to the advice, etc. Keep up the great work.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Tempasante wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:46 am Change is always difficult, and I know updating all this from old code to new is not an easy task. I am happy to still have this site and access to the advice, etc. Keep up the great work.
Change seems to be tougher for feds to deal with, compared to those who work in the private sector (I have spent equal time in both).

Most feds are railroaded into and then coddled within a culture of stagnation.

Optimus187

Post by Optimus187 »

one thing that I would always come to the site before was to track the funds that were easily accessible at the bottom. I realize that you can track them on the phone, but I always checked out the Funds when they were on the bottom and would then interact with other things after that. My suggestion would be to place the funds on the bottom once more. Just my two cents

strohz

Post by strohz »

Some tweaks would help as I just find it harder to keep up with a thread. When I select one, it would be nice if it indexed/took me to the last post I read in it. Instead, it often takes me to the last post in the thread, or sometimes the first. It gets annoying trying to remember the last post so I often give up following after a few replies. Also, it would be great if the system flagged posts I haven’t seen yet or have new activity so I know when to read one. Given the index issue, I’m not sure whether I’m current on a thread or if there is an old one with new activity. This would be really helpful when they drop off the recent list and end up in a forum section. I’m sure I’m missing some discussions I’d care about/participate in that I’m not now.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

strohz wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:19 pm Some tweaks would help as I just find it harder to keep up with a thread. When I select one, it would be nice if it indexed/took me to the last post I read in it. Instead, it often takes me to the last post in the thread, or sometimes the first. It gets annoying trying to remember the last post so I often give up following after a few replies. Also, it would be great if the system flagged posts I haven’t seen yet or have new activity so I know when to read one. Given the index issue, I’m not sure whether I’m current on a thread or if there is an old one with new activity. This would be really helpful when they drop off the recent list and end up in a forum section. I’m sure I’m missing some discussions I’d care about/participate in that I’m not now.
It would be nice to have more than 5 threads in the "Recent Topics".

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

Tomanyiron wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 am It would be nice to have more than 5 threads in the "Recent Topics".
Actually, you can set this to something else if you prefer. I have mine set to 10.

Here's how to set the number of threads in "Recent Topics"

1. Go to your User Control Panel. This can be found as part of the dropdown menu under your username in the upper right-hand corner of the screen on a PC.
2. Click on "Board Preferences"
3. Click on "Edit Display Options"
4. Set the number of desired threads in the "Number of Recent topics to show" area, which is the third setting from the bottom of the page.
Seasonal Musings 2021: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18757
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

:D Thanks Aitrus, you learn something new every day.

stilljammi

Post by stilljammi »

If you click the little red note icon next to the topic name, it'll send you to the first unread post.

PhilJohn

Post by PhilJohn »

I like that you can set your real tsp. Saves time from having to log into my real TSP. Im not sure if you could do that on the old one. I liked the dailey charts better on the old page. Not a fan of the new style on a seperate page, also they dont load a lot of the time.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

PhilJohn wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:00 pm I liked the dailey charts better on the old page. Not a fan of the new style on a seperate page, also they dont load a lot of the time.
I added a miniature "Live Charts" to every page now, just a few days ago. If you click on it, it takes you to the full page view.

The loading issue I am actively working on. It used to not load after I pushed a site update. I fixed that problem. I don't know why it didn't load today but it loaded as soon as I ran the script manually just now. I'm going to keep an eye on it.

gbnooks207

Post by gbnooks207 »

I like the addition of "Live Chatrs" on every page idea. I don't see it on the Fantasy tab, is that possible or not enough room?

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

gbnooks207 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 am I like the addition of "Live Chatrs" on every page idea. I don't see it on the Fantasy tab, is that possible or not enough room?
I'll add it.

daemon

Post by daemon »

When you go to your Fantasy page it lists a summary of IFT's at the bottom of the All tab, but not on your Watchlist tab. Can you add a summary of IFT's at the bottom of the Watchlist please?

Also I liked the old feature on the graphs that showed when and to what funds a person made their IFT's along with the other fund plots. I particularly watch people who have demonstrated some skill (ex, S or C fund took a dive and they went to G before that). I'm not interested in following people who hold S fund through 10-20% drops. That's too nerve racking for me.
When the water runs deep my little dog frolics. When shallow, she drinks

Fund Prices2021-06-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $16.61 0.00% 0.60%
F $20.88 0.32% -1.49%
C $62.45 -1.31% 11.69%
S $82.88 -1.28% 11.70%
I $38.60 -1.78% 9.07%
L2065 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2060 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2055 $13.75 -1.45% 10.74%
L2050 $28.08 -1.17% 8.79%
L2045 $12.83 -1.10% 8.27%
L2040 $46.86 -1.03% 7.76%
L2035 $12.40 -0.94% 7.17%
L2030 $41.33 -0.86% 6.58%
L2025 $11.75 -0.66% 5.27%
Linc $22.90 -0.31% 2.77%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".