Just Like clockwork...

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

12squared

Re: Just Like clockwork...

Post by 12squared »

jatelle wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:27 pm Today's big rally reminds me that I need to STOP listening to the news and the crises of the day.
March market winds are fickle.

Using breadth as my barometer, I've stayed in G for 6 weeks now – one of the longest stretches since I began playing this game in 2016.

Watch the numbers, not the lips.

12²
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

jimcasada

Post by jimcasada »

12squared wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:00 am
jatelle wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:27 pm Today's big rally reminds me that I need to STOP listening to the news and the crises of the day.

Using breadth as my barometer, I've stayed in G for 6 weeks now – one of the longest stretches since I began playing this game in 2016.

12²
I've been in in G longer than that. Switched to S, effective at the end of today.

wingchaser

Post by wingchaser »

jimcasada wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:31 pm

12²
I've been in in G longer than that. Switched to S, effective at the end of today.
JIMBO:

You’re ridin’ in Retirement with some pretty “strong” Market Skills, we all could take heed…

Best of Luck (everyone) in all you choose to endeavor!!!
“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it. He who doesn’t... pays it.” ~ Albert Einstein

jatelle

Post by jatelle »

Email from Grow My TSP. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daemon

Post by daemon »

Given our 2 moves per month limitation, we simply CANNOT react quickly to these changing environments. While I am not staying 100% in stocks all the time, I also don't think staying 100% G is wise because you can miss the big moves up. During the past year I have been in a low allocation (20-40%) stocks. The brief times I tried to get bold by moving more money in, the market took a dive and so I backed off. However, my experience is that as soon as I move 100%G, more often than not, the market goes up (happened in January and I missed that move up). So I am staying close to the middle with a bias, for now, on the defensive side.
When the water runs deep my little dog frolics. When shallow, she drinks

jimcasada

Post by jimcasada »

wingchaser wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:04 pm
jimcasada wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:31 pm

12²
JIMBO:

You’re ridin’ in Retirement with some pretty “strong” Market Skills, we all could take heed…

Thank you. I've been doing this since about 2001, whenever the military was first allowed into TSP.

My thinking in getting back in right now is that there are several ways to get around the FDIC's $250k limits: spreading your money over different banks, creating accounts with different ownership categories, etc. I suspect that's what was mostly happening at US banks last week. Folks were taking excess money out, but these same banks had money coming in from folks moving excess funds into new accounts. Overall, most banks that do a lot of revolving credit are actually really in good shape, but banks that are stuck with bonds and loans that were made at very low interest from a few years ago may need some help.

I think the whole US banking thing will stablize for now, but I'm not as sure about international banks, so S fund probably is the safer bet right now. The main thing I'm watching this week will be the Fed's next interest decision this Wednesday.

jatelle

Post by jatelle »

SPY grinded higher this past week up about 2.5% since last week Monday's March 13 close. This is despite net premiums of options being heavily bearish (net puts>calls). If there is to be a sustained rally SPY will need to get above and stay above the 50 SMA (currently at 400.5) and the +1 Standard Deviation (currently at 406).

wingchaser

Post by wingchaser »

I’ve heard one (1) talkin’ head (Bloomberg) talk about how this market has had everything thrown @ it & still insists on going up; another (Fox Business News) calls her lil’ FaceTime The Power Hour…

After watchin’ the last hour of trading action in the market (today), I’m not sure either has hit the mark!!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/27/stock-m ... dates.html

This one (1) & done action (monthly) WITH MY MONEY is gettin’ old…

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it. He who doesn’t... pays it.” ~ Albert Einstein

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

"New Highs and New Lows represent the number of all stocks making the new 52-week highs or lows. The ratio of New Highs/Lows is a Breadth indicator and is used to evaluate sentiment."
"The divergence between the price trend and the New Highs & New Lows movement could be a signal of change in the market sentiment and as a result may lead to the changes in price trend direction."

"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

12squared

Post by 12squared »

Market breadth is on the rise again, as it was in early January.
NYSE breadth 29Dec22-28Mar23+.png

NYSE summation index is acting similarly.
NYSE SI 29Dec22-28Mar23+.png
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

- Andrew Carnegie

daemon

Post by daemon »

Tomany, I like that graph you show. Can you give us a perma link to it so we can add to our arsenal? Thanks!
Tomanyiron wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:27 am "New Highs and New Lows represent the number of all stocks making the new 52-week highs or lows. The ratio of New Highs/Lows is a Breadth indicator and is used to evaluate sentiment."
"The divergence between the price trend and the New Highs & New Lows movement could be a signal of change in the market sentiment and as a result may lead to the changes in price trend direction."

When the water runs deep my little dog frolics. When shallow, she drinks

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

daemon wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:14 am Tomany, I like that graph you show. Can you give us a perma link to it so we can add to our arsenal? Thanks!
Your Welcome
https://schrts.co/rFaiRnbf
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

kilogram

Post by kilogram »

12squared, I don't know if you're psychic or what, but you've been making some killer decisions lately! if its okay with you, I think I'll start copying your moves going forward.👍

12squared

Post by 12squared »

kilogram wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:54 pm 12squared, I don't know if you're psychic or what, but you've been making some killer decisions lately! if its okay with you, I think I'll start copying your moves going forward.👍
It's been more observation than prediction. For a long time I had been watching weathervanes and windsocks to get a sense of market direction. Recently I have found a few decent barometers – slow to change, but more consistent when they do.

Torricelli was the real genius.
- Dean Witter

- Andrew Carnegie

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

12squared wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:00 pm
kilogram wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:54 pm 12squared, I don't know if you're psychic or what, but you've been making some killer decisions lately! if its okay with you, I think I'll start copying your moves going forward.👍
It's been more observation than prediction. For a long time I had been watching weathervanes and windsocks to get a sense of market direction. Recently I have found a few decent barometers – slow to change, but more consistent when they do.

Torricelli was the real genius.
"Training is useful but there is no substitute for experience." Lotte Lenya quote

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".