Market News Updates

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

ubascuba

Market News Updates

Post by ubascuba »

I was wondering what news media everyone uses for market/economic news.

I watch Ira Epstein daily, and I think he does a good job giving daily updates. I also take a look at the tradingeconomics.com site. I'd like to broaden the information sources I use... don't even mention Kramer. lol
Ubascuba
Strategy:167054

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” ~ Winston Churchill

daemon

Re: Market News Updates

Post by daemon »

Along with Ira I like to listen to My Strategic Forecast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ03VqEaz8U

He does a video every night. He tries to lay out both sides of the tape arguing for bull or bear case and he does so in a calm factual manner with no hype or other hysterics. I usually watch the first part up until he talks about individual stocks. Then I usually skip til later in his video he covers SPY, IWM, DJT, XLF, QQQ, SMH. He can be very entertaining at times too which makes it fun. I've learned a lot about chart patterns from him.
When the water runs deep my little dog frolics. When shallow, she drinks

jimcasada

Post by jimcasada »

1) Every morning, I start by checking cnbc.com
2) Then, usually before 9:30, I check on my Ameritrade accounts for individual stock news.
3) Also usually start checking here on tspcenter.com after the markets start trading. I know I have all the same indexs & ETFs listed on my Ameritrade, but it's more convenient checking here. Plus, it's always interesting seeing what other TSP folks are doing.
4) Bloomberg is good, and also very convenient being on both TV & local radio.
5) Other sites I frequent less often include marketwatch.com, swaggystocks.com, oilprice.com, & www.enverus.com/dailyrigcount
6) And, you have to mention Cramer. Regardless whether or not you agree with him, he has a tremendous following. Just one mention from him about a stock can instantly affect the traded price.

jimmyk

Post by jimmyk »

Excellent topic. I am always looking for better info.
I check the Finviz futures page in the morning
https://finviz.com/futures.ashx
TSPCenter for insights from you all.
Evening David Bahnsen dividend cafe newsletter/podcast. He really explains economic nuts and bolts very well without political spin.
Lynn Alden monthly newsletter. She is very thorough and has some good insights.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Great idea. I use Twitter. I have a good number of people that I follow. I really like Twitter because those posting cannot do a lot of "fluff and stuff." I also really like charts and graphs and datapoints, which is easily shared on Twitter. I also use other websites:

https://mcverryreport.com/
Marketwatch
Investing.com
SeekingAlpha (much less these days)
and sometimes (once a week or so) CNBC

I've worked for many years on seasonals and backtested data. I have expectations on where the market should go and how it should work. I've developed my own models which have done reasonably well.

Some things I don't do are options, futures, etc. I do use leverage ETFs at times, but that's it.

Good luck!

Best,

Bubba

12squared

Post by 12squared »

Marketwatch.com
CNBC.com
Bloomberg Radio
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

equityclock.com
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

FWIW - My list goes from sites with the most non-biased, evidence-based data (quantifiable) to those who focus on opinions and their own self-interests.

OFC, I put a lot more value in the data from the former than the latter.

Here they are in descending order of importance and influence in my decision making:

0. TSPCALC.com
1. https://www.multpl.com/sitemap
2. Stockta.com
3. Finviz.com
4. TSPCENTER.COM
5. investing.com
10. bloomberg.com
20. Anything Ray Dalio
50. Stock Trader's almanac
100. CNBC.COM
[infinity]. Cramer

jimcasada

Post by jimcasada »

I forgot to mention Twitter. Just search by adding a dollar sign in front of any stock ticker. It's especially great for researching lesser known individual stocks. You can even get play-by-play like reports of quarterly meetings faster than any news agency. The main downside about Twitter is all those BS shotgun style click bait posts that list a whole bunch of tickers just to get it to pop up on your search, even though the post really has nothing to with what you where searching for. Another site that I been getting into lately is Benzinga, especially their whale trade lists.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

jimcasada wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:42 am I forgot to mention Twitter. Just search by adding a dollar sign in front of any stock ticker. It's especially great for researching lesser known individual stocks. You can even get play-by-play like reports of quarterly meetings faster than any news agency. The main downside about Twitter is all those BS shotgun style click bait posts that list a whole bunch of tickers just to get it to pop up on your search, even though the post really has nothing to with what you where searching for. Another site that I been getting into lately is Benzinga, especially their whale trade lists.
What always cracks me up on Twitter is that every few posts, people contradict each other. As a result, I've decided to search for ticker symbols with an idea already in my mind. I look for "confirmation" and for someone to prove me wrong. Usually I find both and some are more convincing than others.

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".