Mutual Fund Window (MFW)

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Chulke

Mutual Fund Window (MFW)

Post by Chulke »

So is anyone using the Mutual Fund Window (MFW) through the TSP site? If so, what are your thoughts? Good or Bad...Looks like the fees are a bit high but I'm not sure on that...that's just a rough glance observation...Looks like the funds selection is pretty good though...

You can only fund with 25% of your overall TSP account balance...Still trying to figure out how to make that transfer on the site though...lol!

Cheers!
Cheers!

Current Strat: Loosely following 152300 and 85660 more the former rather than the later
Current PIP: 24.04

Chulke

Re: Mutual Fund Window (MFW)

Post by Chulke »

Ok....so I opened a MFW account but it won't give me the option to transfer funds over....I'll give it a few days and see...I have some time before my next IFT on my plan....not a huge deal for me at this time but I am interested to see how it works....

Cheers!
Cheers!

Current Strat: Loosely following 152300 and 85660 more the former rather than the later

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Hey, this is great news! I might be one of the very few on this site using the MFW. It's been very, very easy to use, so I'm happy with the interface once you're in. A while back, I wrote some info on questions I had, that I had to get answered via a phone call (they wouldn't respond via e-mail). I then wrote those responses in a post on here, so you can find that back in December/January here.

Having said that, I use it for trading in leveraged funds. They don't offer all of them, but most ProFunds leveraged funds are available. I developed a system, but due to an error in Excel, hasn't done that well. Nonetheless, I plan to hold it for the long-haul and see where I get. I still have my main balance in the regular TSP and don't plan to transfer more until I start doing well. We'll see.

If you transfer in enough money, let's say above $20k or more, then using some of the funds there are quite worth it, in my opinion. That's just me though.

Good luck!

P.S. I saw you mentioned something about transferring into the MFW. If I remember correctly, I think I had to wait a day or 2 after creating the account and then a day or 2 for the money to show up. Afterwards, I've loved the fact that the moves within the MFW are not impacting the moves within the TSP. Also, they let you buy and sell as you please (even if there are costs associated!).

Chulke

Post by Chulke »

Thank you for your response Bubba! I was wondering how long it would take them to open it up to let me transfer in money...I figured a couple days or so...knowing the inefficiencies of our federal government...lol! nothing is ever instantaneous!

All that being said, I'm kinda excited at the possibilities the MFW offers....I mean looking at last years gains on FSELX alone is enough to make a guy wanna at the very least check it out...69% in a single year?!?! I mean C'mon! We're talking $13.8K on that $20K you mentioned!

If you pick the right couple mutual funds you could double or even triple your balance in a year or so a catch yourself up to where you should be, If you're like me, and started getting matched late in your Fed career! (I'm retired military and didn't get matched in my TSP until I became a civilian Fed therefore my TSP balance is probably considerably lower than others at my same age, so I'm playing catch up!)

More to come on this topic for sure as this evolves!

Cheers!
Cheers!

Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

I definitely think the fees are ridiculous BUT I am seriously considering. Thanks for posting

TopNotch

Post by TopNotch »

What is the selection of ETFs like? Do they have JEPQ?
David Tepper - "There is a time to make money and a time to not lose money."

Warren Buffett - "Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1."

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

TopNotch wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:24 pm What is the selection of ETFs like? Do they have JEPQ?
No ETFs and no plans for ETFs. I asked that question.

Oh and for everyone to know, the guy I spoke with said they were "open" to additional mutual fund suggestions if they were missing any. Personally, I find it expansive enough for what I want. I also like the fact I can trade whenever I like (again, with costs). This means you're not relegated to a holding period. Very, very nice!

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

At the start of the year I opened a MFW, put 25% of my balance in, and put it all in BTCFX.

I know it is not a safe bet, but so far I have made a killing already.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

mjedlin66 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:42 pm At the start of the year I opened a MFW, put 25% of my balance in, and put it all in BTCFX.

Awesome! Funny, I didn't even think of looking for that. Even so, I'm not a fan of Bitcoin at all, but that's just a me thing and not reflective of how/if you should make money off of it. Personally, I hope you make tons!

tnwhiskey

Post by tnwhiskey »

mjedlin66 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:42 pm At the start of the year I opened a MFW, put 25% of my balance in, and put it all in BTCFX.

Damn Matt :shock: :shock: Congrats !!!

Chulke

Post by Chulke »

So I opened my MFW account on Tuesday, 3/5, this week and as of Today, Friday 3/8, I still don't have the ability to transfer cash into that account yet...It's just not an option. My current plan has me sitting in G fund until next Thursday so I was hoping to get some transferred in before next week....

Oh well not a big loss at the moment, everything is a bit over valued at the moment and needs to pull back some before I jump in.

Cheers!
Cheers!

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Chulke wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:22 am So I opened my MFW account on Tuesday, 3/5, this week and as of Today, Friday 3/8, I still don't have the ability to transfer cash into that account yet...It's just not an option. My current plan has me sitting in G fund until next Thursday so I was hoping to get some transferred in before next week....

Oh well not a big loss at the moment, everything is a bit over valued at the moment and needs to pull back some before I jump in.

Cheers!
Transferring money into the MFW is a different part of the TSP website then “manage your mfw”. I was able to view the page as soon as I setup my MFW but it threw an error until the next day when it worked okay.

Chulke

Post by Chulke »

[/quote]

Transferring money into the MFW is a different part of the TSP website then “manage your mfw”. I was able to view the page as soon as I setup my MFW but it threw an error until the next day when it worked okay.
[/quote]

Yes....If I read it correctly it should show under the transfer funds menu....but when I go under there it does not give me MFW as an option....just the standard funds and the LifeCycle funds....so IDK...LOL!

Cheers!
Cheers!

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

No it isn’t in that window either. I can’t log in right now but it is a separate page.

NUC SHARK

Post by NUC SHARK »

For FYI to compare Vanguard fund expense ratios compared to regular TSP funds ratios 2023:

G 0.049
F 0.049
C 0.048
S 0.079
I 0.054

Fund Prices2024-05-10

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.24 0.01% 1.54%
F $18.86 -0.22% -1.88%
C $81.82 0.18% 10.02%
S $80.25 -0.32% 4.10%
I $42.79 0.31% 6.48%
L2065 $16.31 0.16% 7.91%
L2060 $16.32 0.16% 7.91%
L2055 $16.32 0.16% 7.92%
L2050 $32.61 0.12% 6.56%
L2045 $14.86 0.11% 6.24%
L2040 $54.24 0.10% 5.94%
L2035 $14.31 0.09% 5.58%
L2030 $47.61 0.09% 5.24%
L2025 $13.16 0.05% 3.55%
Linc $25.66 0.04% 3.01%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".