Just taking a poll about the shutdown, again.

Civil Service Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

My work situation and my stance on the wall funding.

Poll ended at Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:37 am

No Work; No Pay
15%
I work; No Pay
17%
I work; I'm paid
16%
I support the shutdown for wall funding
43%
I don't support the shutdown for wall funding
8%

Total votes: 716

chi7834a

Re: Just taking a poll about the shutdown, again.

Post by chi7834a »

Stick to TSP Mr wizard. You obviously are clueless when it comes to politics. Thankfully, you're a nobody.

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

Just so I'm clear: no personal attacks means no personal attacks...period. That goes for more than just tspwizard1.

Just because one person does it doesn't make it ok for others to do it when that first person gets his hand slapped for stepping over the line.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

chi7834a

Post by chi7834a »

Sorry bro, but some comments are uncalled for and need to be challenged.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

Hey there would good people on both sides right? On both sides.

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

Do you suppose a lot of the feds supporting a wall received full pay and allowances during the shutdown? So the shutdown had no effect on them? And what about retirees taking the poll? Developing polls to get real answers can be tricky.

kavic

Post by kavic »

What I want to know is how many of the feds were really at hardship because they missed one paycheck? Were they really that bad off or is the media taking advantage of the situation. If the media is right, then it seems we have an extremely large number of financially irresponsible federal employees with no emergency savings.
Current Allocation: 50% G, 50% F
Strategy: various
Contributions: 50% C, 50% S

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

chi7834a wrote:Sorry bro, but some comments are uncalled for and need to be challenged.
Challenged, yes - in an appropriate and tone and manner. But responded to with the same kind of tone, language and intent as used by the offender in the first place? No.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

kavic wrote: If the media is right, then it seems we have an extremely large number of financially irresponsible federal employees with no emergency savings.
If your poorly reasoned logical conclusion is right you mean.

I'm going to make some assumptions about your assumptions. Last years the Federal employee turnover rate was 16.7%. That means of the roughly 800,000 that went without pay 133,600 hadn't even worked for a full year.

How long should it take someone to save one months pay? What savings rate is responsible, 15%? 15% seems good and much better than the national average of 6.60%. 10% savings rate for retirement is the recommended amount for retirement. So that leaves 5% for an emergency fund.

95 divided by 5 equals 19 months. So it would take you over one and a half years to save just one month’s worth of expenses. Let that sink in for a minute.

Over 20% wouldn't have been working long enough to save one month's worth of expenses at a reasonable rate compared to the average American. Which would be about 160,000.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

kavic

Post by kavic »

A year and a half to save one months pay? That’s ridiculous. What no job/savings prior to joining government? Sorry I don’t think 5% is reasonable. Learn how be be frugal, it’s easier than you think. But what do I know, being uneducated and all. I will say I didn’t realize turnover was so high, unfortunately its probably good people leaving and bad sticking around.

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

kavic wrote:A year and a half to save one months pay? That’s ridiculous. What no job/savings prior to joining government? Sorry I don’t think 5% is reasonable. Learn how be be frugal, it’s easier than you think. But what do I know, being uneducated and all. I will say I didn’t realize turnover was so high, unfortunately its probably good people leaving and bad sticking around.
Funny, I joined with $0 in the bank right after college. I suppose there are many others in the same boat.

Remember that a big group of people are GS 1-9 which don't make as much as some of the higher GS grades.

I'm pretty proud of the federal employment service. Even if America's population has grown over 50% over the past 40 years, the number of federal employees has remained the same. That means our system is becoming more and more efficient.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Some numbers https://ourpublicservice.org/wp-content ... 994024.pdf.

Best,

Me

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

kavic wrote:Sorry I don’t think 5% is reasonable.
It's not 5%. It's 15%, of which 10% is going into the TSP. You may want to read it again.
kavic wrote:A year and a half to save one months pay? That’s ridiculous. What no job/savings prior to joining government?
Why not? The Government is a large recruiter of new graduates from college.

Also, the average TSA Airport security jobs typically begin at the D pay band, which is $25,518. Not exactly big dollars there. Most likely recent high school graduates.
kavic wrote:...and bad sticking around.
I see you're sticking around, right?
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

kavic

Post by kavic »

ArrieS wrote:
:lol: good one

It was your math that said 19 months at 5%...

Efire

Post by Efire »

Probably the poll should be " I think the shutdown will get us wall funding." Yes / No? The result will really reflect the investing skill of the TSP fantasy players.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

kavic wrote:
ArrieS wrote:
:lol: good one

It was your math that said 19 months at 5%...
Yea, but you are ignoring the overall savings rate of 15%. Perhaps you would have been better saying 5% for retirement and 10% for an emergency fund. But that still gets them their at 9 months for one month of expenses.

PureGains

Post by PureGains »

There is not a big enough difference in republicans vs democrats. Our entire government rewards bad behavior and enables gain through the political system. Personally, my belief is if you label yourself a democrat or a republican, you place yourself in a box and can't make independent decisions on each issue.

I saw someone earlier mentioned that all the BP agents on the southern border say we need more barriers. I worked southwest border for 2 years before transferring to Northern. I support 5 Bil to improve and repair barriers in large cities like san ysidro, Calexico, el paso, etc. However, the idea that we need a wall to cover our entire border is not logical or cost effective to me. Just wanted to give a differing opinion because someone left a broad generalizing statement regarding all southwest border agents.

Fund Prices2024-03-27

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.14 0.01% 1.00%
F $19.09 0.26% -0.68%
C $82.11 0.87% 10.42%
S $82.19 1.48% 6.61%
I $42.68 0.56% 6.21%
L2065 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2060 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2055 $16.39 0.84% 8.36%
L2050 $32.73 0.71% 6.94%
L2045 $14.91 0.67% 6.56%
L2040 $54.37 0.63% 6.20%
L2035 $14.34 0.58% 5.77%
L2030 $47.66 0.53% 5.35%
L2025 $13.14 0.31% 3.40%
Linc $25.60 0.24% 2.79%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".