What the Candidates Are Saying

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

Tomanyiron

What the Candidates Are Saying

Post by Tomanyiron »

I have been reading things the candidates are saying.
In a POLITICO interview, Kamala Harris said something that really jumped out at me.
“a tax plan that calls for a $500 monthly credit for families earning less than $100,000 a year.”

I think that's basely an attempt to buy votes, thoughts, opinions?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/ ... at-1345346

ArrieS

Re: What the Candidates Are Saying

Post by ArrieS »

Tomanyiron wrote: I think that's basely an attempt to buy votes, thoughts, opinions?
As opposed to promising to cut taxes while still increasing spending? Guess Trump was buying votes too at the expense of future generations.

That just sounds like a tax cut specifically for the middle and lower class.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

Tomanyiron wrote:I have been reading things the candidates are saying.
In a POLITICO interview, Kamala Harris said something that really jumped out at me.
“a tax plan that calls for a $500 monthly credit for families earning less than $100,000 a year.”

I think that's basely an attempt to buy votes, thoughts, opinions?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/ ... at-1345346
Is giving farmers 16 billion dollars for crops they cannot sell buying votes? Do most of those farmers earn more than $100,000 a year? And do most farmers have hundreds of thousands in assets?

Billionair

Post by Billionair »

Both sides buy votes. Dems prop up the poor, and single mom card. Reps prop up farmers and small businesses.

The nation wins when all our people have jobs and contribute! The taxes that are on this country currently are too high as it is. We revolted on tea, ironic that we get taxed on tea, income, roads, property, purchases, and healthcare now.
-What we do in Life, echoes in Retirement-

userque

Post by userque »

Billionair wrote:Both sides buy votes. Dems prop up the poor, and single mom card. Reps prop up farmers and small businesses.

The nation wins when all our people have jobs and contribute! The taxes that are on this country currently are too high as it is. We revolted on tea, ironic that we get taxed on tea, income, roads, property, purchases, and healthcare now.
The revolt was actually over no representation; taxation with no representation.
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

userque wrote:
Billionair wrote:Both sides buy votes. Dems prop up the poor, and single mom card. Reps prop up farmers and small businesses.

The revolt was actually over no representation; taxation with no representation.
Not to mention those taxes on tea were tariffs. Or, rather a tariff preference in the way of a refund for East India Company that allowed them to bring tea and sell it for less than colonial tea importers, who paid the tax and received no refund.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

Billionair

Post by Billionair »

Touche'. Now we get representation with ALL the taxation. -_-

Half my overtime goes to the government, and I won't vote for any increase in taxes.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

Billionair wrote:Touche'. Now we get representation with ALL the taxation. -_-

Half my overtime goes to the government, and I won't vote for any increase in taxes.
It's about rolling back corporate tax cut and making corporations pay their share. Do that or the country goes even more broke, faster than it already is on pace for.

And yes, OT taxes suck. Especially when almost all of it goes to the military instead of into the country's infrastructure, schools, etc.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

So you'd vote for a politician who says he's going to fire you with budget cuts?

Or, you personally have no problem with the national debt?

Because if we don't raise taxes, we need to cut services and that may very well mean your job, even if it is law enforcement.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

What does she consider a family? Sounds like a move to some type of guaranteed income & a form of welfare similar to earned income credit for low income individuals.

PhilJohn

Post by PhilJohn »

Pelosi wants America to be like her district. Homeless people pooping in yards.
Last edited by PhilJohn on Thu May 30, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billionair

Post by Billionair »

ArrieS wrote:

So you'd vote for a politician who says he's going to fire you with budget cuts?

Or, you personally have no problem with the national debt?

Because if we don't raise taxes, we need to cut services and that may very well mean your job, even if it is law enforcement.
My job is secure, there will always be gangbangers and criminals, especially in immigration communities. I just returned from a stint on the border, absolute chaos.

Budget: cut the budget by bringing troops from overseas (Iraq/Syria/Afghan) and let the Middle East consume itself. I am tired of seeing our people die for nothing.

The only agreement on a tax is a gas tax IF it goes directly to roads/bridges/infrastructure. gains.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

PhilJohn wrote:Pelosi wants America to be like her district. Homeless people pooping in yards.
Yet another mindless, fact less, Trump-ish comment from this simpleton.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

"Reps prop up farmers and small businesses."

?????

My dad has a successful small business and believe me GOP is not propping him up. He isn't a corp. so he didn't get those massive breaks. Instead the corps. used there massive tax break to lower prices and put the squeeze on him. GOP is evil Rich representing the rich. Nothing more.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

tspwizard1 wrote: My dad has a successful small business and believe me GOP is not propping him up.
Why should I believe you?

Most people don't even realize when they are being helped.

Case in point I know many far right that hate FDR and swear they never benefited from any if his polices and will only take SS because they have been forced to.

But they don't know that the 30 year mortgage they have is because of FDR. 30 year mortgages weren't a thing until his administration.

I know right, crazy idea to buy something you can afford, not something that will take you 30 years to pay for.

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".