News of the Day

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

bloobs

News of the Day

Post by bloobs »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52411706

Semi-facetiously, thoughts of Rev. Jim Jones and collective kool-aid drinking orders cross my mind.

We laugh and yet stranger things have happened.... :lol:
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

crondanet5

Re: News of the Day

Post by crondanet5 »

Took years to get the smell of Jim Jones out of the bellies of the C-141's.

Corona running out of victims in the nursing and group homes, maybe things will turn.

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

I watched the President's briefing yesterday. What he said is that it might be a novel idea for doctors and researchers to look into whether this kind of thing were possible (using UV or disinfectants to target infection that's already inside the body). Not so long ago, it was considered the realm of science fiction to use radiation or lasers to kill infections inside the body. Now it's a normal treatment for cancer. As soon as he made a suggestion that I took to be along those same lines, I said to myself "Watch how the media will spin this to make him look bad."

The man is a businessman. That means that he's used to thinking outside the box, to approach problems in new and novel ways. He voices an off-the-cuff idea that was inspired by the briefing, and now the media is crowing that he's advising people to ingest disinfectants and trying to get people to kill themselves. Sheesh.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

userque

Post by userque »

Special Report: Former Labradoodle breeder was tapped to lead U.S. pandemic task force
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN2243CE
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Aitrus wrote:...The man is a businessman. That means that he's used to thinking outside the box, to approach problems in new and novel ways...

But the box he used in this context is, as you stated, far from "new and novel".

Every rational person I know wouldn't dare ingest Clorox bleach or irradiate their lungs with UV-C light. That's common sense for any functioning adult. You wouldn't, right?

If one believes it to be possible--may I suggest he experiment with himself first.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

userque

Post by userque »

Aitrus wrote:... I said to myself "Watch how the media will spin this to make him look bad."

The man is a businessman. That means that he's used to thinking outside the box, to approach problems in new and novel ways. He voices an off-the-cuff idea that was inspired by the briefing, and now the media is crowing that he's advising people to ingest disinfectants and trying to get people to kill themselves. Sheesh.
Where was it spun?

Generally, doctors and professionals spoke out against what he said, not the media. I said to myself, "watch how Trump fans will spin this to make the media look bad."

Being a businessman doesn't necessarily mean you can think outside of the box, or that you approach problems in a new and novel way.

Btw, nonsensical thoughts and approaches to problems can also be new/novel.

userque

Post by userque »

userque wrote:
Aitrus wrote:... I said to myself "Watch how the media will spin this to make him look bad."

Where was it spun? ...
Seriously, please show us where this was spun (by the time of this writing) by the mainstream media (CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, FOX).

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

userque wrote:
userque wrote:
Seriously, please show us where this was spun (by the time of this writing) by the mainstream media (CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, FOX).

Userque, I updated the image for you below for April 2020.

Can you add your captions to it? Thanks!

― Mahatma Gandhi

― Paul Murray

userque

Post by userque »

bloobs wrote:Can you add your captions to it? Thanks!
:) I didn't create that meme. I came across it a couple of years or so ago.

But making that type of meme is not too difficult. Google 'meme generator free' for the simple stuff.

userque

Post by userque »

userque wrote:

Where was it spun?

Generally, doctors and professionals spoke out against what he said, not the media. I said to myself, "watch how Trump fans will spin this to make the media look bad."

Being a businessman doesn't necessarily mean you can think outside of the box, or that you approach problems in a new and novel way.

Btw, nonsensical thoughts and approaches to problems can also be new/novel.
Ut oh, looks like this post upset someone so much, that they've ruined my reputation by deducting 5 points from it. They called the above quoted post 'non-American.'

Since when did the we voluntarily toss away our free speech rights as a nation. Since when did we desire to be more like NK or Russia or China, in that regard?

Anyway, I'd love to discuss it with you, when you're ready to come out of the shadows. In the meantime, you've motivated me to post more opinions.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Aitrus wrote:I watched the President's briefing yesterday. What he said is that it might be a novel idea for doctors and researchers to look into whether this kind of thing were possible (using UV or disinfectants to target infection that's already inside the body). Not so long ago, it was considered the realm of science fiction to use radiation or lasers to kill infections inside the body. Now it's a normal treatment for cancer. As soon as he made a suggestion that I took to be along those same lines, I said to myself "Watch how the media will spin this to make him look bad."

I too am a businessman.

Since asbestos permanently damages lung tissue, and the coronavirus builds up in the lungs, we should look into asbestos inhalation as a possible treatment for the coronavirus.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

mjedlin66 wrote:
Aitrus wrote:I watched the President's briefing yesterday. What he said is that it might be a novel idea for doctors and researchers to look into whether this kind of thing were possible (using UV or disinfectants to target infection that's already inside the body). Not so long ago, it was considered the realm of science fiction to use radiation or lasers to kill infections inside the body. Now it's a normal treatment for cancer. As soon as he made a suggestion that I took to be along those same lines, I said to myself "Watch how the media will spin this to make him look bad."

I too am a businessman.

Since asbestos permanently damages lung tissue, and the coronavirus builds up in the lungs, we should look into asbestos inhalation as a possible treatment for the coronavirus.
Well, i put on my entrepreneur hat, which also doubles as my "stable genius" hat (it's made out of tin foil btw)....

....and i came up with a novel idea to experiment killing coronavirus with a 125 grain 9mm bullet. If the 800 fps velocity wont subdue the virus--maybe the bullet's lead content will poison it. Genius.

I had kool-aid for breakfast, lunch and dinner today. it tasted funny.
― Mahatma Gandhi

― Paul Murray

userque

Post by userque »

Nothing but the best ideas here folks!

Trump would certainly be proud of you guys!

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

userque wrote:
userque wrote:
Just from today:

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/23/21233628/ ... s-briefing

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/heal ... trump.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/24/politics ... index.html

But research has taken steps in this direction, proving that Trump might not be too far off the mark:

https://news.columbia.edu/ultraviolet-t ... 9-UV-light

So please tell me something: if the President repeats something that researchers are already researching as likely (using UV light to kill the virus), and then coming up with something that might be worth looking into (somehow using UV light inside the body to kill the virus) - why does this suggestion - or something similar to it (figuring out if it's possible to use disinfectants to kill viruses, sort of like chemotherapy, ya know?) - immediately result in derision and spin? Why not consider the possibilities that the suggestion brings up? Yes - drinking Lysol is a bad idea, and anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot. But that's not what the President was suggesting, yet the media would have you believe that's exactly what he advised people to do.

Does the President sometimes put his foot in his mouth? Sure, we all do. But he's not suggesting somebody chug some disinfectant or pump a vial full of bleach into an IV bag. He suggested that researchers look at using UV inside the body or something similar. The media jumps on every single mistake he does, deliberately takes everything he says out of context, never tries to show the positive things.

Each news story was about how Trump talked about disinfectant and the reactions of doctors and disinfectant company CEO comments about it. Nobody talked about what the labs discovered about the half-life of the virus, or about how many ventilators are in the system, or about how the entire country's situation is getting better. They picked one small single 10-second clip and focused in on that to the exclusion of virtually everything else.

But hey, it's not like he suggested that people stage a work boycott to protest work conditions if their state decides it's ok for businesses to open back up, as another politician recently did. Or about how that same politician was happy to see the price of oil drop and the stock market suffer because it would mean an opportunity to invest in green programs. That kind of misstep is getting hardly any coverage at all.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/884z ... work-weeks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... shing.html

Sorry if it's hard for me to curb my skepticism about the state of our current "just and fair" media.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

userque

Post by userque »

I'm not ignoring the rest of your post, I’m just trying to respond to one ‘issue’ or point at a time.

I asked to see where the main media has spun the story. You’ve provided some links, but can you quote the ‘spin’ parts?

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".