Any one else terrified about Trump easing social distancing?

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

flaps

Re: Any one else terrified about Trump easing social distanc

Post by flaps »

I'm not worried at all. I'm 30 and healthy, I'll be fine. Just because New York City is doing terribly doesn't mean we need to shut down the whole country. Plus the whole point of the quarantine was to slow the spread so we can increase hospital bed capacity, increase testing capacity, etc. so we don't get overrun. We have done that. It's impossible to stop the spread completely and that shouldn't be the goal. People need to get back to work so the country isn't destroyed from a depression, that will be much worse than the virus.

And they're not going to send everyone back to work immediately at the same time. It is going to ramp up slowly. If you're scared, then stay home.

userque

Post by userque »

flaps wrote:I'm not worried at all. I'm 30 and healthy, I'll be fine. Just because New York City is doing terribly doesn't mean we need to shut down the whole country. Plus the whole point of the quarantine was to slow the spread so we can increase hospital bed capacity, increase testing capacity, etc. so we don't get overrun. We have done that. It's impossible to stop the spread completely and that shouldn't be the goal. People need to get back to work so the country isn't destroyed from a depression, that will be much worse than the virus.

And they're not going to send everyone back to work immediately at the same time. It is going to ramp up slowly. If you're scared, then stay home.
I can respond to several parts of your post, but I'll just say this:

The whole point of the quarantine is to slow the spread so resources (medical, ventilators, beds, etc.) aren't overrun. Simply adding capacity doesn't automatically mean overrun is no longer possible.

They are using computer models to make forecasts and projections. They currently believe that the current worst-case scenario will still overrun resources if it is allowed to play out.

As more a more people slowly become infected, there will come a point where the worst-case scenario won't overrun resources.

The forecasts are continually being updated. The more testing; the better the tests; the more types of tests; the more accurate the forecasts become.

Note: I didn't say don't open the country. I didn't say to open the country. I just wanted to clarify why the quarantine exists.
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

chi7834a

Post by chi7834a »

Trump is president not king. He doesn't deserve all blame when things go wrong or all the praise when things go right. Lots of moving parts my friend. Get over it.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

chi7834a wrote:Trump is president not king. He doesn't deserve all blame when things go wrong or all the praise when things go right. Lots of moving parts my friend. Get over it.
2,612 more people died yesterday in the United States due to the virus bringing our total to 61,000 dead. The curve is flat right now and we are on top of it. Not the time to reopen the country. If you open now instead of 1.0x daily cases and deaths the numbers will likely jump significantly.

Lives are more important than a corporation's quarterly profits.

drifter81

Post by drifter81 »

What is that? .018% of the population?

sigtau88

Post by sigtau88 »

I think the problem is the conclusion that if (vague term, social distancing) is (vague term, eased), then infections will skyrocket. I am paraphrasing the OP but I'm on point with analyzing the argument we all hear or make.

So drill down - the numbers reflect the spread and impact on a number of different locations. Compare the US to a cluster of the largest EU countries. Germany, France and Italy all have different narratives, just like New York, Houston and LA also do. I'd want to deconflict the aggregation of numbers before trying to put a towel on the whole thing.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

drifter81 wrote:What is that? .018% of the population?
Wow. Just wow. Stalin had it right, '1 person dead is tragic, 1 million people dead is a statistic.'

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

tspwizard1 wrote:
drifter81 wrote:What is that? .018% of the population?
Wow. Just wow. Stalin had it right, '1 person dead is tragic, 1 million people dead is a statistic.'
Yup, also that 0.18% value won't seem so negligible if it includes your nana, parent, spouse, sibling or child.

PS - Empathy (aka the ability to appreciate the experience of others not as fortunate as us) is a rare trait nowadays--slowly being replaced by proud overt displays of hubris and narcissism. Classic symptom of a society who has had it so good for so long sans merit, losing touch with reality--and just waiting for a big irrecoverable fall.
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

drifter81

Post by drifter81 »

So what else do you want to curtail that has death related to it? My aunt died in an auto accident, as many do everyday. Will you sign my petition to shut down the country, put huge segments of the population out of work, and remove automobiles from the roadways? How about a shutdown for influenza and everything else under the sun. No? I'm flabbergasted, dismayed and think I will faint.

Take your exaggerated virtue signaling and sell it to the people who get taken by the Nigerian check scammers.

stilljammi

Post by stilljammi »

If your automobile could crash into my car and kill my family and then go on to crash into 200 more cars and kill their families, then yeah I don't think you should be allowed to use that automobile. Influenza has as much to do with COVID as you do to a bonobo.

We all understand and empathize that making you stay home for a couple of months is inconvenient, but the steps taken have obviously been working.

gordon1023

Post by gordon1023 »

Amen to that..... govn't workers - some organizations get better one retirement at a time.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

drifter81 wrote:So what else do you want to curtail that has death related to it? My aunt died in an auto accident, as many do everyday. Will you sign my petition to shut down the country, put huge segments of the population out of work, and remove automobiles from the roadways? How about a shutdown for influenza and everything else under the sun. No? I'm flabbergasted, dismayed and think I will faint.

Take your exaggerated virtue signaling and sell it to the people who get taken by the Nigerian check scammers.
False analogy. Thanks for playing :lol:
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

drifter81 wrote:So what else do you want to curtail that has death related to it? My aunt died in an auto accident, as many do everyday. Will you sign my petition to shut down the country, put huge segments of the population out of work, and remove automobiles from the roadways? How about a shutdown for influenza and everything else under the sun. No? I'm flabbergasted, dismayed and think I will faint.

Your lack of understanding of the virus data is mind blowing. Again here is the data. You can look at every state individually or the country as a whole. You'll see we are on the flat top of the curve. The virus takes 23-24 days for resolution; 14 days to show symptoms, 10 days in ICU (live or die). So the 1.0x daily new cases and deaths per day (1.0x rate leads to a flat curve which you can see in the data) is because of social distancing. If we didn't have that policy, you would likely have infections and now deaths going up 3.0x - 4.0x every three days like you can see early in the pandemic data. The hospitals would have been overrun. And many many more people would be dead right now. What don't you get about this? This is a global problem. It isn't a conspiracy among every leader, in every country in the world to take away your rights. They are using science to try and save lives.

There is sacrifice in saving lives. I understand that too. Shouldn't we roll up our sleeves and think of every life as important though? Are we so selfish as a country to not see that as a worthy fight?

Again, look at the data. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Regularguy

Post by Regularguy »

More than 38,000 people die every year in crashes on U.S. roadways. The U.S. traffic fatality rate is 12.4 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. An additional 4.4 million are injured seriously enough to require medical attention.
Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following: More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke) 278,544 deaths annually among men (including deaths from secondhand smoke) 201,773 deaths annually among women (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
At least 2.8 million people each year die as a result of being overweight or obese. The prevalence of obesity nearly tripled between 1975 and 2016. Once associated with high-income countries, obesity is now also prevalent in low- and middle-income countries.

We have some work to do. How many were TSP account holders?

I am concerned about covid and many other issues we have today. However I don't believe an idiot like me will be able to solve those problems. But I love the seasonal strategy 15565 that lead me into 100 F fund on the 12th trading date of Feb and missed 30% dip shortly after that. Talk about flattening the curve. Thank You TSP calc.

flaps

Post by flaps »

tspwizard1 wrote:

Your lack of understanding of the virus data is mind blowing. Again here is the data. You can look at every state individually or the country as a whole. You'll see we are on the flat top of the curve. The virus takes 23-24 days for resolution; 14 days to show symptoms, 10 days in ICU (live or die). So the 1.0x daily new cases and deaths per day (1.0x rate leads to a flat curve which you can see in the data) is because of social distancing. If we didn't have that policy, you would likely have infections and now deaths going up 3.0x - 4.0x every three days like you can see early in the pandemic data. The hospitals would have been overrun. And many many more people would be dead right now. What don't you get about this? This is a global problem. It isn't a conspiracy among every leader, in every country in the world to take away your rights. They are using science to try and save lives.

There is sacrifice in saving lives. I understand that too. Shouldn't we roll up our sleeves and think of every life as important though? Are we so selfish as a country to not see that as a worthy fight?

Again, look at the data. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/
Look at Sweden, they barely did any kind of social distancing and their slope is about the same as the United States. Their schools and restaurants are all still open. Maybe the initial projections were wrong and we have gone overboard with our reaction.

And with your "14 days to show symptoms, 10 days in ICU (live or die)" quote, you make it sound like every person who gets it ends up in the hospital which is not the case at all. It is very far from it.

Fund Prices2024-04-26

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.21 0.01% 1.36%
F $18.63 0.27% -3.10%
C $79.85 1.02% 7.38%
S $78.29 0.78% 1.55%
I $41.48 0.50% 3.22%
L2065 $15.89 0.80% 5.08%
L2060 $15.89 0.80% 5.08%
L2055 $15.89 0.80% 5.08%
L2050 $31.87 0.68% 4.13%
L2045 $14.54 0.64% 3.94%
L2040 $53.14 0.60% 3.78%
L2035 $14.04 0.55% 3.58%
L2030 $46.78 0.50% 3.41%
L2025 $13.02 0.29% 2.45%
Linc $25.43 0.23% 2.10%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".