Any one else terrified about Trump easing social distancing?

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

tspwizard1

Any one else terrified about Trump easing social distancing?

Post by tspwizard1 »

Here is the data.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

As you can see we are still on top of the infection curve and daily deaths haven't been going down that much (>2,000 dead yesterday alone). We have way more cases and way more daily deaths then when social distancing policy started. Why would anyone think it is a good idea to get rid of that policy now? As a scientist I can tell you in 14-21 days without social distancing cases will again start to skyrocket. I'm terrified I will have to either quit my job or go back to a crowded federal office with 88 people in a building with an outdated HVAC system. All so Trump can gamble our lives in hopes somehow the economy recovers and the virus spread magically slows down. Anyone else feel this way?

userque

Re: Any one else terrified about Trump easing social distanc

Post by userque »

tspwizard1 wrote:Here is the data.

As you can see we are still on top of the infection curve and daily deaths haven't been going down that much (>2,000 dead yesterday alone). We have way more cases and way more daily deaths then when social distancing policy started. Why would anyone think it is a good idea to get rid of that policy now? As a scientist I can tell you in 14-21 days without social distancing cases will again start to skyrocket. I'm terrified I will have to either quit my job or go back to a crowded federal office with 88 people in a building with an outdated HVAC system. All so Trump can gamble our lives in hopes somehow the economy recovers and the virus spread magically slows down. Anyone else feel this way?
Aren't the States in control of their pandemic policies?

And actually, last I knew, no states currently qualify to "open" under the WH's latest criteria. The states currently relaxing are doing it under their own will.

That said, I don't think the states can make federal offices return to normal operations. So even if your state opens, I don't think that necessarily means you'll be ordered back to work.
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

stilljammi

Post by stilljammi »

userque wrote:

And actually, last I knew, no states currently qualify to "open" under the WH's latest criteria. The states currently relaxing are doing it under their own will.

That said, I don't think the states can make federal offices return to normal operations. So even if your state opens, I don't think that necessarily means you'll be ordered back to work.
I agree, Trump hasn't done anything regarding social distancing, that's been the problem, so there's really nothing to ease from the federal level.

I think the reverse is also true in regards to federal offices, they can't just go back to business as usual if the state still has stay at home orders, right?

userque

Post by userque »

stilljammi wrote:I think the reverse is also true in regards to federal offices, they can't just go back to business as usual if the state still has stay at home orders, right?
I'm certainly not an authority on this, obviously, but my thinking was that the federal government would simply declare that that dept., div., and/or etc. as essential.

But I was actually saying that if the state lifted restrictions, the OP still may not have to return to work. The OP seemed to be concerned with being 'forced' to return to work even though the outbreak is not over, once his state opens.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

stilljammi wrote:
userque wrote:

I agree, Trump hasn't done anything regarding social distancing, that's been the problem, so there's really nothing to ease from the federal level.

I think the reverse is also true in regards to federal offices, they can't just go back to business as usual if the state still has stay at home orders, right?
My office has been deemed essential. So when California was first locked down, we were required to report to a crowded federal building for weeks until telework policy was set up. So if Trump eases social distancing, I'm thinking the telework option will go by the way side and we will be forced to go back to office work. 88 people in a crowded space with outdated HVAC. It will just be a matter of time before an outbreak occurs. Even though the state of CA will remain locked down. This is my concern.

userque

Post by userque »

stilljammi wrote:I agree, Trump hasn't done anything regarding social distancing, that's been the problem, so there's really nothing to ease from the federal level.
True.

Trump lost a great opportunity. He could have taken the correct stance in the beginning.

Instead, everything was fake news and hoaxes. Many of his supporters still blindly believe what he says to this day. I'm assuming they are fans of his that mistook his question, or thinking-out-loud, or sarcasm, or whatever it's currently being labeled, as a solution; and tried disinfecting themselves.

YouTube Link

While he currently seems to be following the advice of people smarter than he is; I don't think he wants to. But that's another topic.

userque

Post by userque »

tspwizard1 wrote:My office has been deemed essential. So when California was first locked down, we were required to report to a crowded federal building for weeks until telework policy was set up. So if Trump eases social distancing, I'm thinking the telework option will go by the way side and we will be forced to go back to office work. 88 people in a crowded space with outdated HVAC. It will just be a matter of time before an outbreak occurs. Even though the state of CA will remain locked down. This is my concern.
Ok, I see. I agree; that's a legitimate concern!

stilljammi

Post by stilljammi »

Ok, I see what you guys are saying, yeah OP you're in a tough situation. The administration has basically been punting the ball to the agencies and telling them in regards to telework "do the right thing, wink wink." And after Trump yanks that recommendation, it'll basically give agencies the go-ahead. Part of this is the agency's fault, but it's also on the administration as well.

Also yes, state and local laws don't apply to federal workers. I don't know why, but I didn't think that was codified, but it was in some gray area, I was wrong. OPM basically says agencies should follow local laws, but don't have to.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... perations/
2) Is a phased return to the workplace appropriate? Should ‘vulnerable’ personnel be permitted to continue emergency telework longer - who is vulnerable and how is that determined?

As noted in OMB’s guidance, M-20-23, Aligning Federal Agency Operations with the National Guidelines for Opening Up America Again a phased return from maximum telework is appropriate and encouraged as local conditions improve. In accordance with the President’s Guidelines for Opening Up America Again, and CDC guidance, employers with vulnerable populations, agencies, components, or duty locations in states or regions that remain in the Gating period, Phase 1, or Phase 2 should maximize telework for eligible workers. Telework should be maximized for eligible workers, including but not limited to populations that CDC has identified as being at higher risk for serious complications from COVID-19 (CDC High Risk Populations) and to CDC-identified special populations, including pregnant women (CDC Special Populations). In addition, to the extent possible, employers are encouraged to consider telework options for employees with vulnerable household members, until their state or region has entered Phase 3 in accordance with the Guidelines for Opening Up America Again.

3) What telework posture is appropriate after agencies end maximum telework?

As noted in OMB’s guidance, M-20-13, Updated Guidance on Telework Flexibilities in Response to Coronavirus, agency heads have the flexibility to develop appropriate protocols for their operations. As conditions change, agency heads should revisit telework policies and agreements in order to continue progression toward normal operations or to address changing conditions while retaining the flexibility needed during the response. Agency heads have full flexibility (as they do under normal operating conditions), to calibrate the extent of their telework, in accordance with current law, regulation and any applicable collective bargaining agreement. (For example, see 5 U.S.C. chapter 65, when applicable.)

6) What should an agency do if the return of Federal employees to their duty station conflicts with ordinances put in place by local or state authorities?

As the decision of an agency head to return to normal operations depends heavily on consultation with and guidance from local health officials, we expect such conflicts to be infrequent. However, OPM, in consultation with the Department of Justice, has determined that none of the orders issued to date restrict the ability of Federal employees and contractors from any travel necessary to perform official functions. OPM recommends that Federal agencies continue to follow staffing plans that have been adopted consistent with previous COVID-19 guidance issued by OMB and OPM.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

stilljammi wrote:Ok, I see what you guys are saying, yeah OP you're in a tough situation. The administration has basically been punting the ball to the agencies and telling them in regards to telework "do the right thing, wink wink." And after Trump yanks that recommendation, it'll basically give agencies the go-ahead. Part of this is the agency's fault, but it's also on the administration as well.

Also yes, state and local laws don't apply to federal workers. I don't know why, but I didn't think that was codified, but it was in some gray area, I was wrong. OPM basically says agencies should follow local laws, but don't have to.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... perations/
2) Is a phased return to the workplace appropriate? Should ‘vulnerable’ personnel be permitted to continue emergency telework longer - who is vulnerable and how is that determined?

As noted in OMB’s guidance, M-20-23, Aligning Federal Agency Operations with the National Guidelines for Opening Up America Again a phased return from maximum telework is appropriate and encouraged as local conditions improve. In accordance with the President’s Guidelines for Opening Up America Again, and CDC guidance, employers with vulnerable populations, agencies, components, or duty locations in states or regions that remain in the Gating period, Phase 1, or Phase 2 should maximize telework for eligible workers. Telework should be maximized for eligible workers, including but not limited to populations that CDC has identified as being at higher risk for serious complications from COVID-19 (CDC High Risk Populations) and to CDC-identified special populations, including pregnant women (CDC Special Populations). In addition, to the extent possible, employers are encouraged to consider telework options for employees with vulnerable household members, until their state or region has entered Phase 3 in accordance with the Guidelines for Opening Up America Again.

3) What telework posture is appropriate after agencies end maximum telework?

As noted in OMB’s guidance, M-20-13, Updated Guidance on Telework Flexibilities in Response to Coronavirus, agency heads have the flexibility to develop appropriate protocols for their operations. As conditions change, agency heads should revisit telework policies and agreements in order to continue progression toward normal operations or to address changing conditions while retaining the flexibility needed during the response. Agency heads have full flexibility (as they do under normal operating conditions), to calibrate the extent of their telework, in accordance with current law, regulation and any applicable collective bargaining agreement. (For example, see 5 U.S.C. chapter 65, when applicable.)

6) What should an agency do if the return of Federal employees to their duty station conflicts with ordinances put in place by local or state authorities?

As the decision of an agency head to return to normal operations depends heavily on consultation with and guidance from local health officials, we expect such conflicts to be infrequent. However, OPM, in consultation with the Department of Justice, has determined that none of the orders issued to date restrict the ability of Federal employees and contractors from any travel necessary to perform official functions. OPM recommends that Federal agencies continue to follow staffing plans that have been adopted consistent with previous COVID-19 guidance issued by OMB and OPM.
That is what I thought. This is a nightmare. I have option of quitting job or going to work and waiting to get infected. More and more studies so this virus is transmitted through the air and that AC recirculated air is a big concern. It would have been great if we had a real leader at the helm during this crisis. Worried.

dougellen1

Post by dougellen1 »

I wish tsp would stick to investment rants instead of the constant anti Trump rants every week. This is not supposed to be a political web site.

userque

Post by userque »

dougellen1 wrote:I wish tsp would stick to investment rants instead of the constant anti Trump rants every week. This is not supposed to be a political web site.
Aside from my usual response of don't enter political threads, I wanted to add that typically, everyone is fine with political discussion when 'their' president didn't win the election.

It's only when 'their' president wins, do they start trying to ban political discussions.

Biased website owners/moderators do this as well.

I'd think that all these so-called patriots wouldn't be for any form of speech suppression, especially when the speech is cordoned off, where they don't have to read it if they don't want to.

I believe that grown folks ought be allowed to have civil political discussions in a roped off area. Those opposed to such discussions shouldn't barge in the room stating so. And those unable to remain civil should be banned.

I also believe that a website that previously allowed political discussions, and then decides against it, should do so at the end of the current president's term ... without knowing who the next president will be. And stick to that decision for at least that next term.

All just my opinions.

A search of past posts reveals you enjoyed taking just a few shots at Obama--possibly more, if you called him out of his name. But I don't see where you argued against political posts during the Obama administration.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

dougellen1 wrote:I wish tsp would stick to investment rants instead of the constant anti Trump rants every week. This is not supposed to be a political web site.
Posted in 'Anything Goes Forum'.

Bologna13

Post by Bologna13 »

sooner or later, it has to be our responsibility to be smart and safe. The only thing that will survive in North Alabama is Lowe's and Chick Fil-A if retail doesn't get back to work soon

drifter81

Post by drifter81 »

nope

PhilJohn

Post by PhilJohn »

Wow. Its no wonder why most in the civilian sector think Government employees are worthless. If pimped face high schoolers can work a gas pump for a fracton of what you people make, then maybe you can report to work and earn your paycheck. Except libral men. They probably should stay home and figure out what dress makes them look pretty.

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".