Would You Sacrifice One Person To Save Five?--Anything Goes

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

userque

Would You Sacrifice One Person To Save Five?--Anything Goes

Post by userque »

Familiar with the trolley problem?
What would you do?

YouTube Link

(I posted it here [Anything Goes] because I'm relating it to the pandemic.)
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

Neuronic

Re: Would You Sacrifice One Person To Save Five?--Anything G

Post by Neuronic »

Fascinating. On the surface 5 lives are greater than 1. However, what about chaos theory and ripple effects? What if the children of the one who is killed are upset, and then cause a greater loss of life through a subsequent action. We are complex organisms. For myself, I’d likely wrestle in wondering if I made the right choice the rest of my life. On the surface it seems like an easy one, but the farther you dig the deeper the choices and questions become. If I personally knew the people, it would affect my decision. If I knew the one, but not the five, I’d probably save the one because it would have more meaning to me. Evolution would likely suggest the same, save your family, versus random people. We also assume there will be a definite cause and effect if we choose an action. What if somehow the train self derails or stops by an unforeseen mechanism? Let’s be like Taco Bell and think outside the bun. Maybe we can save all 6...

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

userque wrote:Familiar with the trolley problem?
What would you do?

(I posted it here [Anything Goes] because I'm relating it to the pandemic.)
Well it depends on the criteria you wish to apply to the equation. Moral, Financial/Legal, Scientific criteria:

Moral criteria - Highly qualitative. I would then have to prioritize the "worth" of each individual subjectively. Accordingly, I think my family and loved ones' lives are worth every other person in the world combined (even mine!)--but that's just me.

Financial/legal - Measurable. That's what actuaries working for insurance companies get paid the big bucks to do. They actually calculate and assign a dollar value or cost for each human life that can be "sacrificed" for the "greater good", which is survival of the company and sadly, its continuing profitability. Good ol' capitalism. From a public sector perspective, government agencies such as the FAA charged with protecting the public often set as goals thresholds of how fewer people dying year over year in accident constitute success for its mission. This figure often determines how much money they "deserve" for the next budget cycle.

Scientific - Measurable (loosely). Imagine a scenario where the survival of the human race depended on the survival of one specific person. Would murdering 5 others who present a threat or known risk to that person be worth it? If the objective is to perpetuate the entire species, then yes.
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

greengrass

Post by greengrass »

I always chose the 5 people because they have a higher chance of seeing the train and warning the others to get off the track. I took the thought that they must die as a view and not a certainty. The event hasn't happened yet. Odds

stilljammi

Post by stilljammi »

I'd probably let the 5 folks die. I don't think it's just to cause harm to any individual unless they are harming me or mine. I don't believe I have the right to choose who lives and who dies. Many people think of themselves as messianic heroes in their minds, but in real life they do what everyone else does and drive right past a car accident or in some cities a dead body "i don't need to do anything, someone else had to have seen it as well!"

Navig8tor

Post by Navig8tor »

What's on the train...Chlorine gas or TP?

If it's TP...single dude becomes a hood ornament.
Navig8tor
CWO4 (BOSN)
USCG, RET

userque

Post by userque »

Very interesting answers.

Some perspectives I hadn't considered.

For me, I honestly don't know.
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

Scorpio70

Post by Scorpio70 »

If everyone eats at Taco Bell no one will be on the trolley. They may all be in the restroom.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Scorpio70 wrote:If everyone eats at Taco Bell no one will be on the trolley. They may all be in the restroom.
Scorpio keepin' it real :lol:

Hey dude, what are your May TSP plans?
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

I would not flip the switch, for two reasons: 1- That one guy has the ability to work independently, and can do the work of five people. We need more people like that. (Yeah I know, we don’t know that much about the workers, but what if that were the case?). 2- Overpopulation is causing all kinds of problems, contributing to this one we are having now. "The founder of Earth Day, Senator Gaylord Nelson, knew that stopping population growth was the key to protecting the environment, yet since that first Earth Day, the U.S. population has soared from 203 million to 330 million, and global population has doubled to 7.6 billion. Somewhere along the way, we stopped connecting the dots." https://capsweb.org/earthday/

Some of this is tongue in cheek, but what if you had time to investigate, and think over your decision?
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

greengrass

Post by greengrass »

Tomanyiron wrote:I would not flip the switch, for two reasons: 1- That one guy has the ability to work independently, and can do the work of five people. We need more people like that. (Yeah I know, we don’t know that much about the workers, but what if that were the case?). 2- Overpopulation is causing all kinds of problems, contributing to this one we are having now. "The founder of Earth Day, Senator Gaylord Nelson, knew that stopping population growth was the key to protecting the environment, yet since that first Earth Day, the U.S. population has soared from 203 million to 330 million, and global population has doubled to 7.6 billion. Somewhere along the way, we stopped connecting the dots." https://capsweb.org/earthday/

Some of this is tongue in cheek, but what if you had time to investigate, and think over your decision?
Nice, lol

Scorpio70

Post by Scorpio70 »

I am going to watch and see what happens with the 10 year T bond. I may dabble if we have a drop. Watching the leaders of course. Planting the garden for sure, and stacking.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Scorpio70 wrote:I am going to watch and see what happens with the 10 year T bond. I may dabble if we have a drop. Watching the leaders of course. Planting the garden for sure, and stacking.
By 10 yr T bond, do you mean the TLT?
― Mahatma Gandhi

― Paul Murray

Scorpio70

Post by Scorpio70 »

The ten year treasury TNX

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

It's fascinating that in the past, this was realistically implausible.

And now we have to program the solution into self-driving cars.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".