Great Quotes (Anything Goes Forum)

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

userque

Great Quotes (Anything Goes Forum)

Post by userque »

"Patriotism Means to Stand by the Country … Not the President"
--Teddy Roosevelt
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

ronh227

Re: Great Quotes (Anything Goes Forum)

Post by ronh227 »

"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason"
--Mark Twian

stilljammi

Post by stilljammi »

"Americans will always do the right thing...once they've exhausted every other possibility."
-Winston Churchill

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

userque wrote:"Patriotism Means to Stand by the Country … Not the President"
--Teddy Roosevelt
The long version of that quote.
“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

It’s interesting that you start with Teddy' Roosevelt. Because I have thought what past president had the closest personality to Donald Trump?
At his time he was also thought of as the odd man out. (#2 in the link)
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/545 ... -roosevelt

This is another:
“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

userque

Post by userque »

Interesting. But I disagree that Trump is similar to Teddy. Although you did not technically say that.

The last person I asked a direct question about Trump has thus far avoided answering.

If you are interested in defending Trump, I can start us a thread??
Tomanyiron wrote:
--Teddy Roosevelt
“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

It’s interesting that you start with Teddy' Roosevelt. Because I have thought what past president had the closest personality to Donald Trump?

This is another:
“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

userque wrote: If you are interested in defending Trump, I can start us a thread??
No, I'm very conflicted about the man. I don't know what to believe and what not.
I do know when he does something right, no one wants to give him credit. Is he a good or bad president? History shall be the judge.
The 2016 election was between two people. Are you interested in defending Hillary?

userque

Post by userque »

Tomanyiron wrote:
userque wrote: If you are interested in defending Trump, I can start us a thread??
No, I'm very conflicted about the man. I don't know what to believe and what not.
I do know when he does something right, no one wants to give him credit. Is he a good or bad president? History shall be the judge.
The 2016 election was between two people. Are you interested in defending Hillary?
LMAO. Good one!

I think many improperly assume that if one doesn't like Trump, they must like Hillary.

I guess it's all relative. It depends on the category, and in comparison to whom/what.

I know you're not, but if you were interested in that thread I mentioned, you could throw Hillary into the discussion.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Tomanyiron wrote: No, I'm very conflicted about the man.
Would this help: https://blog.cognifit.com/cognitive-dissonance/?
Tomanyiron wrote:I don't know what to believe and what not.
It helps to filter our personal beliefs only to those that can be verified by raw facts, substantial first experience, and absolute evidence only. Everything else is discardable if need be.
Tomanyiron wrote:I do know when he does something right, no one wants to give him credit.
Tomany, can you give us a list of things he has done right? I am honestly having trouble recalling--and I want to avoid confirmation bias.
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

jlozano042

Post by jlozano042 »

bloobs wrote: Tomany, can you give us a list of things he has done right? I am honestly having trouble recalling--and I want to avoid confirmation bias.
Just my opinion .... but, ... it helps to filter out ones personal belief to those that can be verified by either raw facts, or substantial first experience, .. perhaps absolute evidence.

Some are blinded from the truth because of their personal feelings, and others are blinded from the truth .. because of their personal feelings.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

userque and bloobs, I think you two guys have more time (and passion) for this sort of thing than I do. I participate some, but it’s a lower priority for me. Right now I’m looking at what went right, and wrong with my IFTs.
If this looks like capitulation, it is only for the energy I have to attribute.

Now if you are interested in starting a thread defending Hillary, Pelosi, or Biden, I would love to read it.
This president is all we got now. And all the “wish we had” is a waste of time.

userque

Post by userque »

Tomanyiron wrote:userque and bloobs, I think you two guys have more time (and passion) for this sort of thing than I do. I participate some, but it’s a lower priority for me. Right now I’m looking at what went right, and wrong with my IFTs.
If this looks like capitulation, it is only for the energy I have to attribute.

Now if you are interested in starting a thread defending Hillary, Pelosi, or Biden, I would love to read it.
This president is all we got now. And all the “wish we had” is a waste of time.
Not really interested in a general defense of Hillary. If someone posts a misunderstanding (imo) about Hillary, I might offer my opinion. But I'd do that with Trump as well.

I know this is neither here nor there, but I'm responding simply to clarify:

My proposal was not about "wishing." It would simply be a discussion. Discussions can potentially change minds. Minds of the participants, or minds of the passive readers. Those minds will vote again in the future.

Such discussions are no more a waste of time than any other discussion on the internet.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Tomanyiron wrote:userque and bloobs.....Right now I’m looking at what went right, and wrong with my IFTs. If this looks like capitulation, it is only for the energy I have to attribute.
I am 100% with you there.
Tomanyiron wrote:Now if you are interested in starting a thread defending Hillary, Pelosi, or Biden, I would love to read it.
Hillary who? :wink: See my first answer.
Tomanyiron wrote:This president is all we got now.
That's what the germans, japanese, italians, spanish, and russians told themselves in 1944-1945 too.

Jus sayin'
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

Tomanyiron wrote:
--Teddy Roosevelt

This is another:
― Theodore Roosevelt
Read the book 'River of Doubt' about Teddy's journey into the Amazon and tell me he is anything like the cancer in the white house. Teddy was beyond brave. And showed it many times. He got shot twice while with the Bull Moose party, and then gave a speech in the white shirt he got shot in, proclaiming 'it takes more than two shots to kill a bull moose!' vs. bone spurs? come on man.

Regularguy

Post by Regularguy »

“It’s ridiculous to live 100 years and only be able to remember 30 million bytes. You know, less than a compact disc. The human condition is really becoming more obsolete every minute.”

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".