Lowes and Home Depot

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

armyrn

Lowes and Home Depot

Post by armyrn »

Has anybody been to lowes or home depot lately? I have never seen anything like it and the last 15 years. Packed parking lots, long lines and stretched customer service. I'm looking at Lowe's SP and it's still off it's highs and I think they will report soon. I'm thinking it might be a massive quarter. Anyone have similar thoughts?

stilljammi

Re: Lowes and Home Depot

Post by stilljammi »

I went to Home Depot earlier in the week because I stripped a bolt in my car and the line was wrapped around the store at opening time 8:00am. I promptly invested in Home Depot stock. I guess if we're stuck at home we might as well fix it up. Q1 reports this week, I don't think it's going to be particularly impressive, but they might mention earnings for the month of April to make the stock shoot.

head

Post by head »

:D Lowe's gives Vets a 10% discount, Home Depot does not. This is why I shop Lowe's.

Ericdelee

Post by Ericdelee »

Costco shows similar lines; yet sales went down. People are buying essentials rather than big tkt items. Just a word of caution. Yes you May see lines; but that is generally the amount of people usually wandering around in the store. They are just practicing social distancing right now

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

I go to Lowes a lot, (I’m DIY kind of guy), constantly needing something to complete a project. Over a month back, I started seeing a lot more customers at the local Lowe’s. They have X’s on the floor 6ft apart in checkout lines, and that may make the lines look longer. But they have 3 or more registers open now, where in the past maybe 1 or 2. There are more people buying stuff.

A big part of it is as stilljammi said, people stuck at home, and wanting to fix up things. Added to that it’s spring, people like to start outdoor projects now. A lot of lawn and gardening going on.

The last thing is this, a huge amount of people got stimulus money that were still working and getting regular paychecks. Didn’t need it so much for bills, so they went out to spend it. That’s the purpose of “stimulus” checks, to stimulate the economy. But what things can you spend it on? You can’t travel, you can’t go to school, and you can’t eat out. You can go to clothing stores, but they won’t let you try anything on, (for obvious reasons). I bet Amazon is making a killing too.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

Home Depot has always given me a 10% discount. Last time I went to Lowes they wanted a copy of my DD214.

I would buy the stock now and sell the day before earnings reported.

misfit

Post by misfit »

Try going during the week. I'm finding waiting lines primarily on the weekends.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

armyrn wrote:Has anybody been to lowes or home depot lately? I have never seen anything like it and the last 15 years. Packed parking lots, long lines and stretched customer service. I'm looking at Lowe's SP and it's still off it's highs and I think they will report soon. I'm thinking it might be a massive quarter. Anyone have similar thoughts?
May be true. The hypothesis is that the entire nation is flocking to Home Depot, Lowe's, etc--based mostly on what each of us have observed when visiting these stores in our respective neighborhoods....but let me offer a contrarian perspective as a check, based on two factors:

1. My assumption is that we're all feds and military in this forum. Most feds work in specific geographic areas of the US such as the DC area, SE VA, Oklahoma, Washington State, SoCal, Texas, et al. These areas typically are "more stable" during downturns because of feds/DoD and associated contractors rarely lose their jobs or get lesser pay during a recession--unlike other areas. As such, it stands to reason that when us feds all got our $1200 stimulus checks, few directed that to paying off non-discretionary expenses like rent, health insurance, and groceries--and it went to discrectionary DIY projects--and that's what we observed with our own eyes.

That phenomena may not have been true to most other areas in the US. Places like Pennsylvania, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

2. Also, keep note that the retail side of Home Depot and Lowes is roughly about HALF of their entire revenue streams; that's what we observe when we visit the stores. What is not necessarily visible to us are those stores PROFESSIONAL customers. Both companies distinguish between two sets of customers: DIY ("us") and professional. And the pro sales are especially important revenue sources that are not clearly obvious when we visit their stores. DIY homeowners make sporadic purchases as they tackle home-improvement projects, but a pro contractor drives constant demand. In Home Depot's 2019 Q3 earnings call, executive vice president Ted Decker said that the company estimates 45% of sales are to professionals. How are they doing?

head

Post by head »

crondanet5 wrote:Home Depot has always given me a 10% discount. Last time I went to Lowes they wanted a copy of my DD214.

I would buy the stock now and sell the day before earnings reported.
Here in Arizona only Lowe's gives a military discount, not Home Depot. I did not need a copy of my DD-214 as I registered on-line with Lowe's military program, I just filled in the information from my 214 in to their website. To get the discount, enroll at lowes.com/military.
Thanks.

Scorpio70

Post by Scorpio70 »

I can get a 10% military discount at Home Despot.

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".