Political News w/o Added Commentary

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

userque

Re: Political News

Post by userque »

This was my first response to him.

Please tell us where I was wrong in this exchange. Please also tell us where he was wrong, if you believe he was wrong.
Both of you are right, and both of you are wrong, in your exchange. I have already explained how, and if you can't see how that can possibly be then I can't help you.
And you pretty much know my position as well. It's easy for someone to say, "I think you were wrong." Show me, specifically.

You seem to be biased? No? You yourself are a Trump supporter, and, we recently had an involved debate. Could that be clouding your moderator judgment?
Please show me how I am doing this. I am speaking to him and also speaking to you in equal measure and intensity. I am pointing out where both of you could do better.

What would you rather I do? Stand idly by while you poke the bear? Or would you rather I stomp your opposition into dust for offending you by using my moderator's toolbox? I'm confused in what it is exactly you think I should be doing here. Either I call balls and strikes as I see them, or I step out of the way entirely. I can't favor you over anybody else, nor can I target you and nobody else. I try to be as fair as I can.
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

userque wrote: Billionair's responded immediately with name calling. That's inappropriate, regardless my position.
Ineffective in an argument, perhaps, but he is free to have opinions as well as state them. And it's apparent that he has opinions regarding you and your motivations.
I post articles for information. People are free to read them, and be informed. Or not read them.

If they want to know how I feel, they can ask.
I think that the tone of the articles you post - which tend to be very one-sided - give evidence to how you feel. If they didn't, then you have an interesting way of informing us about how you feel. I would think that if you are wanting to provide both sides of an issue, that you would be doing so. Normally, when people post articles that show only one side of an issue, it's because they support that side of the argument. This is not an unreasonable assumption when the poster fails to otherwise disclose his/her stance.
Freedom to speak also includes the freedom to not speak. Sometimes I have more to say. Sometimes I don't.

Right now, we can decide for ourselves whether we want to add our own commentary to news articles we post, financial or otherwise.
Quite true. So why act so confused when questioned or when someone asserts you hold certain values. A more appropriate response on your part could be "I don't do X, my intent is Y" instead of asking "Where did I ever say X?" Instead of addressing the apparent motivation behind your post, you continue to leave readers wondering and guessing as to your intended purpose behind posting one-sided information.
If there is now a rule that everyone must now include their personal thoughts when posting news articles, I'll continue to decide for myself whether I want to add my own opinion to news articles that I post.
There is not such a rule. I'm trying to help you communicate your intent in a clearer manner.
No. He called me out of my name, in violation of the rules. You seem to want to gloss over that part.
I stated several months ago (it was in May 2019) that I was getting tired of policing every little dustup happening in the forums. I asked that it all be moved to the Anything Goes section of the forum. I plan on having an in-depth discussion with MJ on what the posting rules are and how they are enforced going forward.

http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 098#p77098
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

userque

Post by userque »

userque wrote:Billionair's responded immediately with name calling. That's inappropriate, regardless my position.
Aitrus wrote:Ineffective in an argument, perhaps, but he is free to have opinions as well as state them. And it's apparent that he has opinions regarding you and your motivations.
Once again. I never had a problem with his opinion. Please show where I had a problem with him having an opposing opinion.
userque wrote:I post articles for information. People are free to read them, and be informed. Or not read them.

If they want to know how I feel, they can ask.
Aitrus wrote:I think that the tone of the articles you post - which tend to be very one-sided - give evidence to how you feel. If they didn't, then you have an interesting way of informing us about how you feel. I would think that if you are wanting to provide both sides of an issue, that you would be doing so. Normally, when people post articles that show only one side of an issue, it's because they support that side of the argument. This is not an unreasonable assumption when the poster fails to otherwise disclose his/her stance.
Those articles are what they are. Someone's free speech. This is the anything goes forum. If someone has a problem with political articles that others might post, they should avoid the forum. As has been advised by you in the past to others.

People post what they post. Everyone won't like it. That's a given everywhere in the world, online and in real life. We are not entitled to become uncivil when we don't like someone's lawful free speech.

The goal is to remain civil regardless of what is posted, not to try to force others to post as you, or someone else, thinks they should post.

When we have a Democratic President, and you and Billionaire are trashing them; trust me, I won't become unhinged. Nor will I try to stifle your speech. :)

It has also just come to my attention about the friend and foe feature. Anyone that doesn't want to see my posts, can use that feature, instead of trashing the website. Maybe you, as moderator, should advocate that instead of trying to convince others to post more like you would post.
userque wrote:Freedom to speak also includes the freedom to not speak. Sometimes I have more to say. Sometimes I don't.

Right now, we can decide for ourselves whether we want to add our own commentary to news articles we post, financial or otherwise.
Aitrus wrote:Quite true. So why act so confused when questioned or when someone asserts you hold certain values. A more appropriate response on your part could be "I don't do X, my intent is Y" instead of asking "Where did I ever say X?" Instead of addressing the apparent motivation behind your post, you continue to leave readers wondering and guessing as to your intended purpose behind posting one-sided information.
You respond the way you do, and that's fine for you. My response is to first require someone to support their allegations with facts, if I don't agree with them. (Who knows, maybe they saw something I didn't. I won't assume to know what they're talking about.) Once they've done that, we can address that alleged fact.

It's not acting confused.

This is how it's done in formal debates and in tribunals...because that's the logical approach.
userque wrote:If there is now a rule that everyone must now include their personal thoughts when posting news articles, I'll continue to decide for myself whether I want to add my own opinion to news articles that I post.
Aitrus wrote:There is not such a rule. I'm trying to help you communicate your intent in a clearer manner.
LOL. Good one. :) Thanks.
userque wrote:No. He called me out of my name, in violation of the rules. You seem to want to gloss over that part.
Aitrus wrote:I stated several months ago (it was in May 2019) that I was getting tired of policing every little dustup happening in the forums. I asked that it all be moved to the Anything Goes section of the forum. I plan on having an in-depth discussion with MJ on what the posting rules are and how they are enforced going forward.

I have more on this, but I can say here that there'd likely be fewer dust-ups with proper enforcement. And in the anything goes thread, there can be very few subject matter dust ups, as most anything goes. You'd only have to enforce blatant disregards for the rules ... such as name calling. Unless, you want to make that legal. Actually, I'm good either way, as long as things are consistent.

12squared

Post by 12squared »

Aitrus wrote: I stated several months ago (it was in May 2019) that I was getting tired of policing every little dustup happening in the forums. I asked that it all be moved to the Anything Goes section of the forum. I plan on having an in-depth discussion with MJ on what the posting rules are and how they are enforced going forward.

If I could change one thing about TSPcenter Forums, it would be to remove the Latest Posts section which is the first thing I see on the main Forums page. Like an accident on the side of a highway, most folks cannot drive past without slowing down for a closer look.

If I had to actively choose a Forum to view, I might be more inclined to avoid looking in areas in which I have little interest. Even if I chose View new posts I would see the forum in which the topic was categorized.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

Aitrus

Re: Political News w/o Added Commentary

Post by Aitrus »

Thank you for that feedback 12squared. I've noticed that myself. I'll pass it along.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

userque

Post by userque »

Trump Can’t Designate Antifa — or Any Movement — Domestic Terrorist Organization
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/06/trump ... anization/

"...We asked the White House about the president’s tweet but we haven’t received a response. ..."

"...Trump, Barr and National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien have pointed to antifa as driving or leading the violent acts that have erupted in some protests. We asked the White House if it could point to evidence of that, but we haven’t received a response. ..."

userque

Post by userque »

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

12squared wrote:
Aitrus wrote: I stated several months ago (it was in May 2019) that I was getting tired of policing every little dustup happening in the forums. I asked that it all be moved to the Anything Goes section of the forum. I plan on having an in-depth discussion with MJ on what the posting rules are and how they are enforced going forward.

If I could change one thing about TSPcenter Forums, it would be to remove the Latest Posts section which is the first thing I see on the main Forums page. Like an accident on the side of a highway, most folks cannot drive past without slowing down for a closer look.

If I had to actively choose a Forum to view, I might be more inclined to avoid looking in areas in which I have little interest. Even if I chose View new posts I would see the forum in which the topic was categorized.
What if we kept the latest posts but just removed all "Anything Goes" threads from "Latest Posts"?
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

Aston

Post by Aston »

That would be a step in the right direction.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

mjedlin66 wrote: What if we kept the latest posts but just removed all "Anything Goes" threads from "Latest Posts"?
Sounds great, I vote for that.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

12squared

Post by 12squared »

mjedlin66 wrote: What if we kept the latest posts but just removed all "Anything Goes" threads from "Latest Posts"?
That could work - if everyone was conscientious enough to begin new topics in the appropriate forum. Alternatively, remove the video section to somewhere else (nothing new in years) and use the format you see under View New Posts which includes the Forum name.

It would also help better to have a separate forum for "Political", separate from "Anything Goes" (or everything else), as this subject causes more ire than most.

I also find that I often don't look beyond the 10 topics on the "Latest Posts" lists. I suspect many others do the same. I suspect this is why many topics get hijacked, with off-topic remarks. When I actually click on Market Commentary or General TSP Discussion I discover many topics of interst have new content.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

I think the late great George Carlin had the best idea.

https://www.youtubetrimmer.com/view/?v= ... =54&end=89
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

Fund Prices2024-03-27

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.14 0.01% 1.00%
F $19.09 0.26% -0.68%
C $82.11 0.87% 10.42%
S $82.19 1.48% 6.61%
I $42.68 0.56% 6.21%
L2065 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2060 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2055 $16.39 0.84% 8.36%
L2050 $32.73 0.71% 6.94%
L2045 $14.91 0.67% 6.56%
L2040 $54.37 0.63% 6.20%
L2035 $14.34 0.58% 5.77%
L2030 $47.66 0.53% 5.35%
L2025 $13.14 0.31% 3.40%
Linc $25.60 0.24% 2.79%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".