Civilized discussion

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

stilljammi

Civilized discussion

Post by stilljammi »

I suggest: if you want to insult other posters, just don't post. There are other forums, or imageboards, for that kind of stuff. If you don't like what another poster says and think they are wrong, delineate the reasons and do your best to not come across as emotional or attacking. I can be guilty of this myself, but the most interesting discussions are never the "who can most creatively insult the other."

userque

Re: Civilized discussion

Post by userque »

Well said, I owe you rep points.
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

stilljammi wrote:I suggest: if you want to insult other posters, just don't post. There are other forums, or imageboards, for that kind of stuff. If you don't like what another poster says and think they are wrong, delineate the reasons and do your best to not come across as emotional or attacking. I can be guilty of this myself, but the most interesting discussions are never the "who can most creatively insult the other."

I would suggest this doesn't work. We have a bunch of kids on this forum that are trying to "stifle" other people's opinions. They think that giving you negative rep points is their way of attacking you (check out my points and you'll see some of those children). Personally, it cracks me up that someone's taking the time to click on my name, click on the negative points and adding some random wording that is unrelated to the discussion. It's their time, not mine.

As for the others, I tried discussing with a few people about political issues, but then you get some folks that are so die hard set in their ways that you automatically get branded as "unAmerican."

For the most, people on this forum are civilized and great people to chat with.

I hope you get something out of this.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Summarized....the higher your reply to a post lays on the "pyramid" above, the more intelligent/honorable/dignified/respectable/decent you appear to others.
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

Scorpio70

Post by Scorpio70 »

Just the facts.....other than the usual courtesies ...the only thing I really care about on this board is making money. I see people ripping the face off of this market, and I want to be like them.

zenquest

Post by zenquest »

Scorpio70 wrote:Just the facts.....other than the usual courtesies ...the only thing I really care about on this board is making money. I see people ripping the face off of this market, and I want to be like them.
Agreed. The vast majority of my experience here has been positive and I attribute that with being hyper focused on maximizing my TSP balance. I thoroughly enjoy intelligent AND respectful debate on any topic (as Im sure most of us here do) but this isnt the platform for me. I am here to learn and I have, and I am very grateful for that.

sunny

Post by sunny »

Is this still tspcenter.com?

Koastiek

Post by Koastiek »

I'm just seeing this. Are we voting on this as members? I wasn't sure. Just in case, let me get mine in to the group. I vote for name-calling because I don't know anyone who doesn't love getting called "ass hat." I'll follow that up with ad-hominem. I assume that is a recipe, and I can eats me some hominy.

Okay, well, there's my vote. Have a great day, everyone.

12squared

Post by 12squared »

If what someone writes continually upsets you, here's another option:
Click on "Profile" button at the bottom of the offending member's post.
Click on "Add Foe" In the "Board Presence" panel in the upper left, beneath the member's name.
Henceforth you will see "This post was made by <member name> who is currently on your ignore list." in place of whatever they wrote.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

userque

Post by userque »

12squared wrote:If what someone writes continually upsets you, here's another option:
Click on "Profile" button at the bottom of the offending member's post.
Click on "Add Foe" In the "Board Presence" panel in the upper left, beneath the member's name.
Henceforth you will see "This post was made by <member name> who is currently on your ignore list." in place of whatever they wrote.
Thank you. Never knew that. Hopefully, some folks will do that to me.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

userque wrote:Thank you. Never knew that. Hopefully, some folks will do that to me.
Using an ignore button :?:
Only problem is that will be with all your post.
Usually when you post something about market timing or investing, it's worth reading.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

userque

Post by userque »

Tomanyiron wrote:
userque wrote:Thank you. Never knew that. Hopefully, some folks will do that to me.
Using an ignore button :?:
Only problem is that will be with all your post.
Usually when you post something about market timing or investing, it's worth reading.
Thanks, I think. :) As usual in life, no perfect solution. :|

12squared

Post by 12squared »

Abridged from the Forum Rules. Key points pertaining to Civilized discussion underlined.
TSPking wrote: The TSP Center and FantasyTSP Forums is a public service made available to allow community members to help each other with managing their TSP accounts. As this community will hopefully consist of hundreds or thousands of TSP investors, all community members are required to abide by a set of rules to keep the forum atmosphere in a positive manner.

If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the forum rules, please direct your feedback to TSP Center staff.
  • General Rules
  • While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
  • Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and private message system to spam other members.
  • Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
Last edited by 12squared on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

12squared wrote:Abridged from the Forum Rules. Key points pertaining to Civilized discussion underlined.
TSPking wrote: ...General Rules
While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.....
Some people will say that's not fair, because it leaves them with nothing to say.

Fund Prices2024-04-15

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.18 0.04% 1.23%
F $18.64 -0.61% -3.02%
C $79.24 -1.20% 6.56%
S $77.27 -1.66% 0.23%
I $41.14 -0.29% 2.38%
L2065 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2060 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2055 $15.76 -0.94% 4.19%
L2050 $31.64 -0.81% 3.38%
L2045 $14.44 -0.76% 3.24%
L2040 $52.80 -0.71% 3.11%
L2035 $13.96 -0.65% 2.96%
L2030 $46.52 -0.59% 2.83%
L2025 $12.97 -0.32% 2.08%
Linc $25.35 -0.25% 1.78%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".