Political News w/ Added Commentary

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

userque

Political News w/ Added Commentary

Post by userque »

Here, anyone can post news with their own commentary added.

I've been told that some must see commentary, and they become uncivil when a news article is posted without commentary.

So I've renamed the original thread to indicate that it doesn't have added commentary, so that those people will know to avoid it. They should only used this thread for their political news.
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

Tomanyiron

Re: Political News w/ Added Commentary

Post by Tomanyiron »

I vote for Political News to go last on the list.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

soccermoth

Post by soccermoth »

I hope that all users will follow your lead and will post all of their political vents, advice, observations, and rants in this thread and this thread only. So that I can more easily read what I come here for which is trying to educate myself on having a secure retirement fund some day.

12squared

Post by 12squared »

soccermoth wrote:I hope that all users will follow your lead and will post all of their political vents, advice, observations, and rants in this thread and this thread only. So that I can more easily read what I come here for which is trying to educate myself on having a secure retirement fund some day.
Look past the "Latest Posts" and go directly to Market Commentary or General TSP Discussion.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

This is one of the most interesting articles I've read in awhile about reporting on the state of American affairs from a different perspective... check it out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... V4Ob0FrrHv

userque

Post by userque »

soccermoth wrote:I hope that all users will follow your lead and will post all of their political vents, advice, observations, and rants in this thread and this thread only. So that I can more easily read what I come here for which is trying to educate myself on having a secure retirement fund some day.
Appreciate the civil post.

I hadn't intended on putting all my anything goes posts into one thread. But that's an excellent idea, until MJ finishes 'hiding' the anything goes/political forums.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

This is one of the most interesting stories I've seen in awhile about the state of American news bias.... check it out.
"Obamagate is real and the media can't just ignore it"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_JQuttDa8

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

Obamacare was built on Romneycare used in Massachusetts. Neither properly cares for all American medical and dental needs.

userque

Post by userque »

I've responded here because this thread was already visible in the recent discussions list, so posting in it won't push any tsp discussions out of view, and it moves the discussion into the political forums.

From the Re: Spike in COVID Cases! Thread:
tspwizard1 wrote:>115,000 dead on your boy's watch and you got jokes huh. Pathetic.
Tomanyiron wrote:First off he's no more my "boy" than he is yours. You are as responsible for him winning as much I am. You may have not voted for him, but you let CNN, and MSNBC convince you that you didn't need to get out and do more work for Hillary.

Number 2, look-up how many deaths are average for first 6 months of any year.

Number 3, Do you really think Hillary would have done better? She screwed-up on about everything she ever did. She would have been a sleep at the wheel, and there would have been more deaths.
Not to really get into the detailed mechanics as to whether the R's, or the D's are responsible for electing R. Trump. Though it's kinda obvious.

But instead to remind us of what I see, that is usually overlooked in these types of discussions:

Trump was nominated, over all other R candidates, by the R's, as the best and/or only R that could win.

This fact is usually forgotten when some R's argue that they didn't have much of a choice between Trump and Hillary.

Simplifying: It didn't have to be Trump and Hillary; it could have been another R and Hillary.

Just wanted to clarify, as it seemed that argument could likely be raised soon. (Maybe it won't be now.?)

"Number 3, Do you really think Hillary would have done better?"

Actually, I do.

I believe Hillary is more likely to (1) Not replace expert, experience, skilled workers with yes-men/woman, unskilled, inexperienced, cronies. And (2) more likely to listen to experts.

Having had the "benefit" of engaging with many many people over the years,

I've found that excessively arrogant and narcissistic people, that aren't really that smart, do a lot worse than less intelligent people.
I've found that arrogant dummies shun good advice, and don't know how dumb they really are.
I've found that less intelligent people, that know that they are such, tend to seek the smartest people, and follow their advice almost to the letter.

Of course, there are many other categories of people I've "discovered," but I think these two are the ones that are at play regarding Hillary and Trump.

Clarification:

Not saying Hillary is less intelligent than Trump. I think most reasonable people would agree that Hillary is more intelligent than Trump (and was more qualified for the political position of POTUS than Trump).

I'm saying Hillary would recognize areas where she would be less intelligent than the experts: as in the covid response, etc. And would generally defer to experts, rather than respond the way Trump did when he became aware of what was happening in China and other places--when he was warned by the ... experts.

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

Not going to comment on the discussion underway, but I just wanted to say thanks to userque for bringing a conversation that was obviously turning political to the Anything Goes forum. Kudos, my friend.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

userque

Post by userque »

Yw and ty. I tried.

To be honest, I wasn't sure that it was a priority anymore, since You, MJ, and others partook of the evil fruit the other day and had a nice political discussion, in a non-political forum; and also since the forums are due to be revamped.

Nonetheless, your words here suggest that good forum choice is still in play.

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".