What's next Mount Rushmore?

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Re: What's next Mount Rushmore?

Post by mjedlin66 »

Please re-focus this discussion to the original topic... the Teddy Roosevelt statue. This thread took a dive real, real fast.

No need to comment on my post, either. Just read it, and then post your feelings/facts about the statue.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

mjedlin66 wrote:Please re-focus this discussion to the original topic... the Teddy Roosevelt statue. This thread took a dive real, real fast.

No need to comment on my post, either. Just read it, and then post your feelings/facts about the statue.
Thanks for the check MJ.

If I may, I'd add the following advice to all posters here (that includes me): try not to base your strongest beliefs using the weakest evidence.

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

I agree with MJ and bloobs.

Also: following Wheaton's Law won't hurt either.

Here's a short video explaining the gist of the Law:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

bloobs wrote:... try not to base your strongest beliefs using the weakest evidence.
Hey, that's pretty good! For lots of things, including market timing.
B, You should put that as your signature line.

But wait a minute, which of us are you calling weak? :lol:
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

McWinning

Post by McWinning »

In my view, the rhetorical question in the topic suggests the government is going too far with racial equality efforts. I don't think a check on credibility for sources supporting that argument is out of line, but I do apologize if my extreme example caused offense.

md2018

Post by md2018 »

McWinning wrote:
md2018 wrote:I have read that the terrorist groups of the 60-70’ era (mainly Weather Underground, Black Panthers, etc) had the goal to overthrow the government of the US and impose a communist regime. When that effort failed most of the terroristS left the country or surrendered. However the FBI failed to prosecute them (due to illegal wire taping) and most were let off with a fine or suspended sentences. Many went above ground And continued the fight in the Universities. In order to achieve their goals they needed to:
Get rid of the police,
Get rid of American culture and history,
and get rid of God.
So far it looks like they have had a lot success with all 3.
Yeah, I've also read that Hilary Clinton is running a child sex ring out of a pizza parlor...
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/14/alex-jo ... ories.html

There is no shortage of wild conspiracy theories coming out of the extreme right (and extreme left). Do you happen to have the source for this one?
The Plan was outlined in “Prairie Fire“ by Bill Ayers of Weather Underground. I heard it mentioned in an interview of former FBI agent on FOX news and then later looked it up on various internet sites. The article draws a link with the former terrorist groups with current groups using the mob to destroy and remove statues, whether they had anything to do with the Civil War or other American History.

I do personally believe that we have to rethink the memorials we display to tell the whole story and not a distorted view of American history. There is one is Brooksville, FL which commemorates the southern soldiers who fought for the south. It’s outside the county courthouse and next to an old oak tree known as the “Hanging Tree” due to the high number of lynchings which were performed at the tree. Maybe not remove the statue but at least add a memorial telling the other side of the story and to remember the victims of the “Hanging Tree”.

https://www.newsmax.com/jameshirsen/ant ... id/971046/

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

I wouldn't rule anything out but at least Mount Rushmore is in more of a remote location and would be much more difficult to organize something. Don't give them any ideas.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/12 ... 3839202304

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

:shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Jankadank

Post by Jankadank »

bloobs wrote:
Tomanyiron wrote:
bloobs wrote:C'mon T
very well know Teddy on that mountain is gonna be just fine.
You must have missed this part?
"Theodore Roosevelt statue will be removed from the front steps of the Museum of Natural History"
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/us/new-y ... index.html

That particular statue is being removed not because it has Teddy Bear on it, but because there is a native american and a slave in it in a submissive pose to Tedster. Accordingly, the statue's context (not its primary subject) is justifiably inappropriate. Maybe us white folks don't see it--but it is reasonable to assume other Americans won't share that impression.
I have no clue how someone can look at that statue and conclude it shows a native american and a slave in a submissive pose. Its as though you really havent seen the statue yourself

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Jankadank wrote:
bloobs wrote:
Tomanyiron wrote:You must have missed this part?
"Theodore Roosevelt statue will be removed from the front steps of the Museum of Natural History"
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/us/new-y ... index.html

That particular statue is being removed not because it has Teddy Bear on it, but because there is a native american and a slave in it in a submissive pose to Tedster. Accordingly, the statue's context (not its primary subject) is justifiably inappropriate. Maybe us white folks don't see it--but it is reasonable to assume other Americans won't share that impression.
I have no clue how someone can look at that statue and conclude it shows a native american and a slave in a submissive pose. Its as though you really havent seen the statue yourself
If one wants a clue, explanation, or rationale, read here: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180975154/

userque

Post by userque »

Jankadank wrote:I have no clue how someone can look at that statue and conclude it shows a native american and a slave in a submissive pose. Its as though you really havent seen the statue yourself
LOL :lol: Thanks for the laugh and for providing another perfect example.

But more seriously, and sadly:

The U.S. of A. will never be able to fix; a problem it can't (or refuses) to even see.
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

jlozano042

Post by jlozano042 »

userque wrote:
Jankadank wrote:I have no clue how someone can look at that statue and conclude it shows a native american and a slave in a submissive pose. Its as though you really havent seen the statue yourself
LOL :lol: Thanks for the laugh and for providing another perfect example.

But more seriously, and sadly:

The U.S. of A. will never be able to fix; a problem it can't (or refuses) to even see.
Some see it as submissive while others do not. That is the 'art' of things. It is believed that the sculptor did not include the American Indian and African American as being submissive; there is fairly decent comment at the bottom of bloobs link he posted.

The problem is, userque, a small amount of individuals such as yourself believe that the removal/destruction of these inanimate objects somehow fixes the current and "over hyped" racial injustice(s) (which I whole-hardheartedly believe exists but in small pockets of modern society). Most of us will most likely never experience it - I don't care who you are.

Good men and women throughout our history, today and in the future will continue to fight for the equal protection and equal offering of life and freedom for ALL mankind by doing the right thing in hiring the qualified individuals not by race, by helping a stranded motorists not by race, by caring for an individual not by race, by fighting to the death for ALL freedoms not by race, by helping a student not by race, by talking, eating with, joking, laughing, holding hands, loving, arguing, throwing your middle finger in the air .... and not once see the color of the persons skin. This ... is how most people in our society operate - hate to break it to you.

I'm sure you will have a volley of return questions and comments by splicing my entire post apart telling me where you said that and where you said this .... but I warn you my feeble mind can't keep up with your level of argument. So if you get no response from me .... just know that I love you - and start eating something vice arguing all the damn time. :lol:

userque

Post by userque »

jlozano042 wrote:...a small amount of individuals such as yourself believe that the removal/destruction of these inanimate objects somehow fixes the current and "over hyped" racial injustice(s) (which I whole-hardheartedly believe exists but in small pockets of modern society). ...
I could go on about the definition of 'submissive' and about how one's artful interpretations don't get to override facts; but I won't, especially since you've indicated that you have a feeble mind.
jlozano042 wrote:...but I warn you my feeble mind can't keep up with your level of argument. ...
I'll simply say that I'll share a 20-piece chicken nugget dinner with Trump if you can simply quote where I allegedly said, in effect, if not in these exact words, that I:
jlozano042 wrote:believe that the removal/destruction of these inanimate objects somehow fixes the current and "over hyped" racial injustice(s).

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

userque wrote: The U.S. of A. will never be able to fix; a problem it can't (or refuses) to even see.
Some people are not happy unless they are mad.

userque

Post by userque »

Tomanyiron wrote:
userque wrote: The U.S. of A. will never be able to fix; a problem it can't (or refuses) to even see.
Some people are not happy unless they are mad.
I'm going to assume you are (once again) referring to me ... without actually trying to engage in a discussion with me.

My response is:

Having an opinion that suggests that problems won't get fixed unless things change, doesn't (necessarily) make one mad. (And in this case, I'm not mad.)

My turn:

Some people are not happy until they can suppress the speech of others they disagree with.

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".