What stocks do you currently own? (2023)

Other Investments

Moderator: Aitrus

IRQVET

What stocks do you currently own? (2023)

Post by IRQVET »

I just got into the stock market for the second time in my life this year. My strategy was to simply invest in companies I do business with and enjoy, as well as invest in companies I think have room to run. Here is the list that I’m currently invested in:

CVNA- Carvana
TM- Toyota Motor Co.
CMI- Cummins
TSLA- Tesla
VRM- Vroom
PLUG- Plug Power
PRM- Perimeter Solutions
FCEL- Fuel Cell Energy
HMC- Honda Motor Co.
VZ- Verizon
BP- BP Oil
NEE- NextEra Energy
PG- Proctor & Gamble
MPC- Marathon Petroleum
DE- Deere & Company

What are you guys invested in?
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
Disclaimer: The contents of this thread are known to the state of California to cause cancer. (As they always seem to know more than the rest of us)

Scarfinger

Re: What stocks do you currently own? (2023)

Post by Scarfinger »

No individual stocks. In my Fidelity Roth I have:

FXAIX (FIDELITY 500 INDEX FUND)
VNQ (VANGUARD REAL ESTATE ETF)
AVDV (AMERICAN CENTY ETF TR AVANTIS INTL SMALL CAP VALUE)
DFIV (DIMENSIONAL ETF TRUST INTERNATNAL VAL)
FSSNX (FIDELITY SMALL CAP INDEX FUND)
FLCOX (FIDELITY LARGE CAP VALUE INDEX FUND)
FISVX (FIDELITY SMALL CAP VALUE INDEX FD)

Weighted more towards value funds to supplement my TSP
I am just an average Joe. I have no clue to what the market will do.
TimboSlice wrote: "People really need to stop overthinking this."
Paul Merriman 2 fund strat: (age - 25) x2.5 = TDF + balance into S fund or variation of

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Scarfinger wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:18 pm No individual stocks. In my Fidelity Roth I have:

I'm totally with you. I used to do individual stocks, but then I had to spend countless hours reading their quarterly financial statements. Not for me! I don't have a list to post here, but I would caution people to look at their index funds/ETFs past historical returns. That doesn't mean they won't outperform now, but that should help inform you on your decision:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/US_smal ... ex_returns

At the bottom of the page, you can look at midcaps, large caps, REITs and much more.

TSPTrader

Post by TSPTrader »

PLUG;BLNK;CBAT;AI;ELTP;WGS;NVDA;HYLN;PRPO is my current holds.

IRQVET

Post by IRQVET »

Dang my Carvana stock made me some serious cash in the last 48 hours!
Disclaimer: The contents of this thread are known to the state of California to cause cancer. (As they always seem to know more than the rest of us)

IRQVET

Post by IRQVET »

Well that Carvana stock did me well, bought in a $5.40 per share and sold out when it hit $55 per share. It had more room to run, but I didn’t know that at the time, and decided to take the money and run since that getting that great of return in less than a year was very unforeseen. I thought there was potential, but not that much!

Now I’m buying up Lithium Americas Corp (LAC) betting on another run and its been doing very well, and the crazy thing is that the Thacker Pass Project is not even operational yet- but already have a secured list of buyers when they finally do go into production.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Scarfinger wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:18 pm No individual stocks. In my Fidelity Roth I have:

Scarfinger,

I would suggest you get rid of the FSSNX fund. Not because it's small cap, but because the Russell 2000 is one of the worst indexes you can own (check the link I posted for historical returns). For most of the time, the return in the Russell 2000 is lower than the SPX, which removes the idea of getting a better return than large caps. My suggestion is to grab the midcap from Fidelity. The Russell Midcap index has done quite well over time and handily beats the 2000.

Obviously do what's best for you.

Best,

Bubba

P.S. The Russell 2000 value isn't that great either. It might be worth looking at the historical returns 15 to 20 years and compare that to the midcap or perhaps a dimensional or avantis small value.

Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

I recently opened the MFW in TSP. I bought VHYAX (Vanguard High Dividend) with about half my money in there.

Scarfinger

Post by Scarfinger »

Bubba wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:51 am

Scarfinger,

I would suggest you get rid of the FSSNX fund. Not because it's small cap, but because the Russell 2000 is one of the worst indexes you can own (check the link I posted for historical returns). For most of the time, the return in the Russell 2000 is lower than the SPX, which removes the idea of getting a better return than large caps. My suggestion is to grab the midcap from Fidelity. The Russell Midcap index has done quite well over time and handily beats the 2000.

Best,

Bubba

P.S. The Russell 2000 value isn't that great either. It might be worth looking at the historical returns 15 to 20 years and compare that to the midcap or perhaps a dimensional or avantis small value.
Thanks. I changed FSSNX to IJR (Ishares core S&P small cap). Similar fund slightly weighted more towards smaller and value companies than the FSSNX.
I am just an average Joe. I have no clue to what the market will do.
TimboSlice wrote: "People really need to stop overthinking this."
Paul Merriman 2 fund strat: (age - 25) x2.5 = TDF + balance into S fund or variation of

ETOZZY

Post by ETOZZY »

NVDA,LLY,AAPL,STWD,O,MSFT, [TELL(Spec)], In And Out Trading MLM, ELF, ET And Looking To Get Back In DIS And SBUX.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Snapdragon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am I recently opened the MFW in TSP. I bought VHYAX (Vanguard High Dividend) with about half my money in there.
Personally, when I get to the point, I will invest in PSLDX (closer to retirement). It's an excellent dividend fund, terrible for taxed accounts.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Scarfinger wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:58 pm
Bubba wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:51 am

Scarfinger,

Best,

Bubba

Thanks. I changed FSSNX to IJR (Ishares core S&P small cap). Similar fund slightly weighted more towards smaller and value companies than the FSSNX.
Nice. I don't know if you have the ability within your plan to also invest in DFA or Avantis funds. Personally that's where I would (and will) park my small cap cash. Both (value-wise) handily beat IJR or any other small cap over a longer period of time. In the end, IJR is a massive upgrade to FSSNX and still an excellent choice. :wink:

jimcasada

Post by jimcasada »

I only have three right now: $LI, $KRUZ, & $NANC

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".