Cryptocurrency Revolution!

Other Investments

Moderator: Aitrus

Cpayne09

Cryptocurrency Revolution!

Post by Cpayne09 »

Don't worry... TSP is most important to me and I'm up 26% YTD.

So I've been playing around with cryptocurrencies since May/June and I'm already up 388% as of today. I've been using Coinbase for the 3 main currencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin) and Bittrex/Poloniex for various alt coins. The crypto market is really volatile but I feel if you can read charts and don't pay attention to emotion you can make tons of money from this.

I use Coinbase to buy Bitcoin and then transfer my Bitcoin over to the other exchanges (Bittrex and Poloniex) to buy other coins. Lately I've been using my Bitcoin to buy Litecoin and then transferring my Litecoin from Coinbase to another exchange... it's faster and lower fees.

Today I'm going to work on my blockfolio for 2018. I may be making more accounts on other exchanges just to gain access to alt coins that aren't listed on Poloniex and Bittrex, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyone else in the crypto market? How well are you doing? What are your goals? Do you have a specific blockfolio and would you mind sharing what's in it?

Aitrus

Re: Cryptocurrency Revolution!

Post by Aitrus »

I have a buddy who trades and mines for Ethereum. He's a pretty emotional trader, so he ends up making bad decisions.

His mining setup is pretty impressive and was expensive to get going, and it takes a lot of time and know-how to maintain it in top shape. From what I can tell he doesn't make enough money on it to be worth his time and effort. Still, he has fun doing it, always trying to find little creative ways to improve his system's performance. It's more of a hobby that pays for itself. He's an IT guy for his day job, so the hobby helps him hone some of his IT skills.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

LittleKing

Post by LittleKing »

My thing is the crypto trading site Binance...I have been trading IOTA/BTC and ETH/BTC for awhile. The IOTA has me up a ton right now...I rode it from $0.33, and sold at $5.05 recently. Now I just do multiple mini trades between 5% and 10% daily. In a given day I can trade 6 - 8 times and can gain roughly 5% - 80% on my initial investment that day.

Cpayne09

Post by Cpayne09 »

Aitrus wrote:I have a buddy who trades and mines for Ethereum. He's a pretty emotional trader, so he ends up making bad decisions.

His mining setup is pretty impressive and was expensive to get going, and it takes a lot of time and know-how to maintain it in top shape. From what I can tell he doesn't make enough money on it to be worth his time and effort. Still, he has fun doing it, always trying to find little creative ways to improve his system's performance. It's more of a hobby that pays for itself. He's an IT guy for his day job, so the hobby helps him hone some of his IT skills.
Let your buddy know he can also mine SIACOIN at the same time he's mining ETH without any degraded performance. I'm IT too.
LittleKing wrote:My thing is the crypto trading site Binance...I have been trading IOTA/BTC and ETH/BTC for awhile. The IOTA has me up a ton right now...I rode it from $0.33, and sold at $5.05 recently. Now I just do multiple mini trades between 5% and 10% daily. In a given day I can trade 6 - 8 times and can gain roughly 5% - 80% on my initial investment that day.
I think I'm just gonna do the long position until I'm a bajillionaire in 5 years.

LittleKing

Post by LittleKing »

Yup, same here, bought in at $5 with all my TDY money one year...best investment I have ever made by far...supporting my whole family with it now, but I am a swing trader besides, so I play both sides lol

Cpayne09

Post by Cpayne09 »

LittleKing wrote:Yup, same here, bought in at $5 with all my TDY money one year...best investment I have ever made by far...supporting my whole family with it now, but I am a swing trader besides, so I play both sides lol
Gonna buy some more ETH lol? Looks like it might be trending.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kavic

Post by kavic »

This stuff has been peaking my interest, but I know very little about it. My son said he owned bitcoin but sold too soon when I asked him about it a couple nights ago. Best place to learn more?
Current Allocation: 50% G, 50% F
Strategy: various
Contributions: 50% C, 50% S

cashworth

Post by cashworth »

I bought some ETH back in the summer just trying to understand the whole thing. I think today I'm sitting at about 80% gain.
I see it as a ~1% of my portfolio type thing because its downright madness, but maybe its not and these crazy guys on reddit are ahead of the curve.
My strategy is buy and hold ETH only on the principal that it is the superior blockchain.

All crypto has crazy momentum right now. Mainstream is going bananas over it, which might mean sh*ts about to hit the fan (good or bad I have no clue).

I literally don't tell anyone but my wife about it because its so speculative and I have almost no sound advice on it.

Jokerswild

Post by Jokerswild »

I've been in the crypto market as well since about May. Since then, I'm at 300% gain on my original investments and have got other coworkers into this crazy world too. It's not for the weak hearted though, the swings are ridiculous and really difficult to predict even with TA. However, it fills my time up when I'm not actively teaching TSP strategies to the masses :)
Shawn AKA "Joker"

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

Austin

Post by Austin »

If you had to turn all your crypto currency into dollars tomorrow, how would that work?

chayden876

Post by chayden876 »

I admit to dabbling in the cryptocurrency as well. I dumped a spare $10 into Ethereum on March 5, 2017 and sold it for $155 on Nov. 17. I put the $155 into Litecoin and as of right now it's valued at $297. If only I had more spare to dump back in March...
Daily Seasonal Since: October 12, 2017
Currently Following #87787

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

I just started getting some exposure through ARKW ETF. Bitcoin (GBTC) is around 8% of ARKW holdings. Bitcoin has been very volatile the last couple days in prep for hitting the futures market.

You might want to make a side bet on energy based on this interesting article.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/technol ... index.html
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

Don

Jokerswild

Post by Jokerswild »

Austin wrote:If you had to turn all your crypto currency into dollars tomorrow, how would that work?
It would sit as USD in your online wallet or exchange until you requested a withdrawal. Like a bank, it would take a couple days to clear but voila, money in your savings
Shawn AKA "Joker"

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

These are the kinds of articles that make me concerned about Cryptocurrency in general. I know that timing can be everything and I have a concern that this rocket is running out of fuel for at least the short term.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consum ... st-n827906
Don

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".