S fund equivalent?

Managing your TSP and alternate investment options after retirement or separation from service.

Moderator: Aitrus

Sarah

Re: S fund equivalent?

Post by Sarah »

Last edited by Sarah on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jahbulon

Post by Jahbulon »

Well, I apologize. I am sorry if I came off as rude.

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

There are many other reasons to enter this site besides participating in the Fantasy Trophy Races. So much information is passed. Actual peronal life event TSP experiences shared. These are worth the price of admission. However that does not take away the significance that rather than focus on making the next wild move to try and get top spot I believe it is more important to see where the group is moving their money. Both from and to. The site is a gem.

TSPBuilder

Post by TSPBuilder »

For mmurray: I like simple strategy(s) that work. I don't follow how you know when to shift but that's doesn't matter for this discussion. I started back in 2000 trying to figure out how to maximize my returns to retire early. I think I have a good "system" using the moving average tools like on this site and wanted to find a way to do the same outside of the TSP. The company I found is called Profunds and you can switch between funds once a day with no fees (that I can see). I have an investors account that is taxable that I now put my cash in that doesn't need accessing for 4+ days (takes that long to transfer in or out to my bank) and a service class for my IRA. As far as similarity to the S Fund I can't tell you because it doesn't matter to me what fund performs as long as it does. If a fund is steadily performing above the 10 day average I invest and if it crosses the 50 day average I tend to get in or out. Simple and uninformed but makes me more money than following a professional advisor and paying a fee (no offense to the professionals. I'm just cheap and it works for me :) What I'm really coming to like is the inverse funds. This is a big divergence from the TSP. In the TSP when the C,S, or I goes down you tend to to transfer to the G or F. At Profunds I move to an inverse fund that usally not only halts my loss of gains but continues to gain. I hope this is helpful and germaine to the forum topic and doesn't violate any posting requirements. Live long and prosper! T

mmurray wrote:Retired in '05 with FERS after 28 yrs. and have been happy with the TSP performance in general. As others have mentioned, like the idea that my TSP investment has a low administrative fee, I don't have to think about it too much ,and generally have done well shifting from I fund to G, then back to S during the last 5 yrs and have missed most of the losses in the market by accomplishing this admittedly simple procedure. Obviously an unsophisticated investor and for simpletons like myself basic works best for my profile. Question is, have kinda come up empty trying to find a low administrative fee fund on the outside of TSP that mimic's the TSP's "S" fund. Previously used an EAFE index fund that closely tracked the "I", but a bit wary of pushing more funds that direction, so reason the "S" fund looks attractive (albeit once the debt ceiling has been raised). So the question for all you sophisticated ex-Federal guys/gals out there is, "Are you aware of a non-TSP fund that comes very close to tracking the performance of the S with similar stock allocation, and weighting, and of course with the low administrative fee? According to the S Fund information sheet, BlackRock Institutional Trust administers the fund, but when you call them and they have no earthly idea of what investment instrument might best follow the S. I'm all eye's and ears and thanks in advance for any advice you bright folks may be able to provide this neophyte.

Fund Prices2024-05-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.26 0.01% 1.63%
F $18.97 -0.24% -1.31%
C $83.13 0.12% 11.79%
S $81.54 0.08% 5.77%
I $43.48 0.27% 8.20%
L2065 $16.57 0.16% 9.63%
L2060 $16.58 0.16% 9.64%
L2055 $16.58 0.16% 9.64%
L2050 $33.06 0.12% 8.01%
L2045 $15.05 0.11% 7.61%
L2040 $54.90 0.11% 7.22%
L2035 $14.47 0.10% 6.77%
L2030 $48.10 0.09% 6.33%
L2025 $13.24 0.05% 4.19%
Linc $25.79 0.04% 3.54%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".